Tuesday, September 25, 2007

BIRD HUNTING BLUES

The long anticipated chukar opening came the 14th. Ken and I went to a nearby spot that had yielded decent success (1 to 4 birds apiece) at the end of last season. We hunted a good five hours and I went from the top down to the river and back again without so much as seeing a chukar. Ken did see one covey that flushed wild and got a snap shot at a late riser but didn’t connect. Monday we went up the river and again I hunted from the bottom to the top and back down again seeing only two birds that flushed out of range. Ken didn’t see any.

So Thursday the 20th we left for our Owyhee county hunt with old hunting buddy, Doug Lyle. I stayed at Milo's in Boise and got up at 3:30 am Friday and we headed out to our favorite spot which is a long drive on roads unbelievably rough and washed out. It was dry and heavily over grazed. I didn’t see a chukar all day. I did get one shot at a quail, knocked it down but couldn’t find it. It must have been a hit and run. Ken got lost but in the process got 3 chukars at a spring. Doug got a hun and a chukar at a spring as well. As for me – skunked again.

Saturday Milo went with Ken and me to a different place in Owyhee county. Milo and I had a good time visiting but we didn’t even see a bird. Ken and I drove back that evening mostly in heavy rain. However, it kind of petered out around Grangeville and we didn’t get a drop in the Valley or on the farm.

We’re back on the farm now. Maybe I can get lucky and bag a hun or two up here.

2 comments:

Hallie said...

The question: What exactly IS a chukar? Is that its scientific name? Maybe Ken would let you take a picture of his chukar for the site. Bummer about the scarcity of these so -called chukars. :(

Kathy said...

A chukar is a partridge. Learn about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukar
As you know we live on Chukar Lane in town. I've often heard them on the hill acoss Critchfield and once saw a couple perched on the rocks in front of the house.

It's been said that chukar hunting is not a sport, it's a cult.