Saturday, September 22, 2007

GRANDMA'S PATTERN BOX

It’s just a cardboard box – 9”x 9” x 7”. It used to be green but now it’s faded and looking its age. It has a red handle. Inside the lid are the words “Dritz Pattern File – Keep your patterns neatly arranged for reuse – 12 dividers for easy filing.” I don’t know when Mother got the box. I suspect it was originally Grandma Portfors’.

The box has always seemed silly to me. Why? Because anyone who sews knows that you collect way more patterns than fit into such a small filing box. Certainly my mother did – she had a whole drawerful of patterns. When I commented to her on the uselessness of the box, she smiled and agreed but made no move to discard it. Over the years a few very special patterns were dropped into it – like the one for Mike’s work apron. Otherwise, its contents didn’t change. Eventually the pattern box became my box. More than once I considered emptying the contents and tossing the box. However I am as powerless as my mother was to part with it.

I lost the box for several years -- a casualty of our move. But last week, spurred on by the need to find the pattern for the work apron, I found the box in a large box marked “slides.” What joy! What wonderful nostalgia! I so enjoyed looking at those patterns! I could make vintage aprons from my own collection! I could make a stuffed toy horse, sock or rag dolls, even doll furniture. Does anyone need a peasant blouse? Does your baby need a layette? There’s a McCall’s Kaumagraph (what’s that?) transfer for wool embroidery which I could use to decorate a fitted wool jacket. I can make potholders, men’s pajamas, a little girl’s robe and nightgown (size 4), an artist smock for a child (size 6), smocked Christmas balls and smocked pillows. I could embroider pillowcases or guest towels. And – I might just choose one of those projects -- but I have to make the apron first. Also – in the very front of the box I found obituaries – Grandma Portfors, Grandma (Ina) Dobson, Uncle Al – and the write-up on Mother and Daddy’s wedding at the Portfors' home.

I have a beautiful new cardboard box for my sewing room. I could easily move the patterns and dividers into that box, but I don’t think I’ll be able to do it. KW

No comments: