Wednesday, September 26, 2007

THE OLD PEAR TREE

The old pear tree is all that remains of the orchard that used to exist here. I remember only three trees in what Daddy called the orchard – two pie cherry trees and the old pear tree. We picked the cherries in July and froze them for delicious pies. This continued until about 1998 when the cherry trees were lost to the renovation project leaving just the pear tree which I estimate it to be 60 or 70 years old. Sitting on the bank like it does, the tree is visible through the windows of the upstairs “west dormer.” Hallie and I have enjoyed it at Christmas decorated with lights. And in the spring it dresses itself in white blossoms for the most spectacular show of all.

I don’t know why we never picked the pears. Daddy was not interested in any of the fruit trees here. There are some old apple trees at the pond and some plum trees in the gully – but we never picked the trees except for the cherries. I expect he didn’t think the quality of the fruit was worth the bother. Mother would say, “You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear,” and she was as particular about her fruit as she was her fabric. While I agree with her premise, I also think that country life is about making do and using what you have. So, today Mike helped me pick some pears. The quality is not great (they wouldn’t even make the “maverick” box at Harry and David’s) but the flavor is good. I spent the morning making pear preserves -- pears, plenty of sugar, a little water, cinnamon sticks, and whole cloves simmered until golden – or in my case bronze (overcooked or just well spiced?).

We’re thinking of spraying the fruit trees and planting some more. Advice is welcome.

4 comments:

Hallie said...

Yes to planting fruit trees! Picking fruit is a great way to keep grand kids busy! I remember pitting cherries with a device that I'm quite certain was just half a paper clip jammed into a cork. Mmmm cherry pie!

Kathy said...

The device was actually a hairpin jammed into a cork. Yes, the pies were good. Today I made a pumpkin pecan pie rather like the cream cheese pecan pie. We haven't tasted it yet -- it's for dessert. XO

murray.warnock said...

How about replacing the old gooseberry bush? I remember the annual gooseberry pies that Dorothy would make.

Kathy said...

I would love to replace the gooseberry plant; however, gooseberry bushes are hosts to white pine blister rust and therefore banned in Idaho. I believe the same is true of current bushes. KW