Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A BEAUTIFUL, PRODUCTIVE DAY

Late last spring I ordered some bare-root stock from a mail-order nursery. Unfortunately the plants did not do well and I was upset about it, having spent more than I cared to lose. I was going to let it go, but in the end I sent an email message to the company stating my disappointment. They politely provided a credit, and I subsequently ordered iris. (I am never ordering bare-root stock again!)

Today, on this beautiful warm day, I planted the iris on the bank at the southwest corner of the house. Mike has been complaining that he can’t mow the bank and would prefer we plant it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to dig in the ground by myself, so now I’m thinking of getting some daffodils and crocus – “for naturalizing,” as the catalog says. I used plastic knives to label the iris by name.

Mike took his bike ride before lunch while the air was somewhat still. That was good thinking – the wind is gusting now though it is still warm – almost 80 degrees at 4:00 p.m. on Oct. 9! This afternoon he helped me finish a couple of projects I’ve been working on – refurbishing an old privacy screen and putting new fabric panels on a “notions” box. Both of these are rustic items that belonged to Grandma Portfors, but I decided they had a place in my life. I painted the frame of the screen and made new fabric panels, using the same fabric for panels on the notions box. Mike helped me tack the fabric in place and replace the hinges on the screen. There’s always one more thing – but I think we’re about finished. KW

No comments: