Saturday, October 13, 2007

THE TOWN CRIER

It’s a copy of an upscale art magazine, “The Town Crier,” and it’s kicked around the farm forever. The copy at hand is Vol. XXI, No. 50, December 11, 1926 -- “Official publication of the Seattle Fine Arts Society. Member of the Washington State Press Association. Published every Saturday.” The intellectual articles, pictures of art, even the advertising targets an audience of wealthy city dwellers – patrons (or potential patrons) of the arts. All of it speaks of a life out of reach for an Idaho farm family. My guess is that my dad sent this magazine to his mother, perhaps as a Christmas gift. Perhaps she enjoyed it. At least she kept it – and then he kept it. And now I keep it.

My online research has been fruitless with regard to Seattle’s “Town Crier.” I learned only that the present Seattle Art Museum had its roots in the Seattle Fine Arts Society.

Tucked into the magazine is a brochure: “The Cornish School Announces Its Twelfth Annual Summer Session, July 19 to August 28, 1926.” I believe this places my dad in Seattle in 1926. Of course, the brochure provides information about the school, its courses, living arrangements for students, and promotional information about Seattle. “The famous climate of Seattle with its beautiful mountain, sea and lake scenery is attractive to the Eastern student who wishes to combine travel, vacation and work. Week ends are spent in sight seeing motor trips to Mt. Rainier, Snoqualmie Falls and other beautiful mountain resorts; boat trips to the quaint English city of Victoria and around the lakes make a recreation thoroughly enjoyable.” Under one picture in my dad’s hand is written, “This is taken from West Seattle which I wrote about.” Hallie lives in West Seattle. I sure wish I had that letter so that I could know what Daddy said about West Seattle in 1926. KW

No comments: