Sunday, November 11, 2007

CLOTHESLINES

As you might know, I can procrastinate when it comes to cleaning, and putting away the clutter is really frustrating for me. It’s hard for me to get into projects, and cleaning is a project. But I’m pretty good at running the washing machine and the dishwasher. I feel I’ve accomplished something when I turn on a machine so that it can do the work.

Recently I’ve read some interesting articles on clotheslines – one in The Christian Science Monitor and the other in the Denver Post. There’s evidently a movement in our country encouraging folks to use clotheslines instead of driers because clothes driers are among the worst energy consumers. Our family has always used a clothesline as part of our conservation and economizing effort. Anyway, apparently clotheslines are considered unsightly in some neighborhoods and are often banned by housing associations. There are now organizations working to reverse this trend, promoting the benefits of hanging clothes outdoors.

To paraphrase son Clint, “It’s best to use the drier on most anything you’re going to wear.” He makes a point. Socks, other knits, and towels come off the line fairly stiff. Milo complained about stiff socks when he was growing up; they were truly harsh on his feet. On the other hand, sheets and even towels (despite stiffness) take on that outdoor fresh-air aroma that can’t be beat. Regardless, here on the farm I hang clothes year-round because we don’t have a drier. I have clothes on the line even as I write on this cool fall day. I will probably have to finish drying them by the fire this afternoon.

My mother told me that when she was growing up in Orofino (she graduated high school in 1927), the housewives competed to see who could be the first to get her wash on the line. They would get out of bed and get started on the laundry before daylight. The sooner you could get it out there for all to see, the better. This in part determined your status in the housewifely arts. Can you imagine?! What a waste of womanhood. How catty! KW

3 comments:

Hallie said...

A smart housewife would just hang the clothes out the night before and then sleep in. That's what I would do anyway.

Anonymous said...

Hallie, you crack me up!! Good thinking! I'd even hang them up dirty in the dark, and then sneak them off later to wash after I'd hung the first of the morning's wash. Ha ha!! I'm a firm believer in sleeping in when possible. See, we *are* related. :-)

Kathy said...

LOL -- The two of you are quite innovative. No wonder you have such clean counters while I struggle away! It makes me wonder, though -- Do you suppose some of those housewives were practicing what you're thinking?