Sunday, November 11, 2007

Guest Blog: Hallie's Field Trip

This is my first guest blog on Mom and Dad's page. I thought it might be nice to share my field trip with any interested readers. Mom has many times told me that we had family that lived in the Seattle area. When she and Dad visited in the spring we thought it would be fun to visit the houses where family once lived, but were unable to track down addresses. In Mom's rainy day exploration (see previous blog) she found the addresses prompting my exploration. The photo to the left is 8824 12th Ave SW--the once home of Aunt Pearle and Uncle Al. Mom explains this relationship as her grandmother Portfors' brother married to her dad's (Vance) sister. So for me, I describe this as my great great Uncle married to my great aunt. Did I get that right, Mom? If that sounds incestuous, read it again...it's not. Either way, it could be my great aunt and uncle or my great great aunt and uncle. That's funny!

The next stop is Aunt Shirley's and Uncle Henry's house. This one is easy. Aunt Shirley is my mom's aunt, and therefore, my great aunt. Follow? Perfect. This is 10827 10th Ave SW.

Did anything look familiar, Mom?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

What fun! Yes, that's Aunt Shirley's house. In 1962 Mom and Dad took L.J. and me to the Seattle World's Fair and we stayed in Aunt Shirley's house. She and her family were away at the time --so I guess it worked out well. I don't remember the Sander's house except for the squareness of it -- so it looks right. Thanks for doing this. XO

Kathy said...

Yes, you did get the relationships right. Your great-great uncle married your great aunt. Their only son, Stanley, was my mother's cousin & my dad's nephew. So, he was my cousin & my first cousin once removed. He would be your first cousin once removed & your first cousin twice removed. I remember a time when Daddy & Chuck amused themselves & everyone else by figuring all these relationships the long way. XO