Sunday, November 25, 2007

QUICK TRIP TO THE FARM


This past week Lewiston’s lows have been in the mid 20s with highs in the mid to upper 30s. We’ve been concerned about the farmhouse plumbing, so today we made a day trip to the farm. We didn’t see snow until about halfway up the grade – just where twin fawn were cavorting in the road while their mama watched from the clearing below. When we arrived on top, we entered a land in which Jack Frost had done some fine work with snow and ice crystals. The trees were decorated in white courtesy of the fog and freezing temperatures.

We were relieved to find that all was well in the house. We set to work according to plan. Mike lit the fireplace, and I searched for old photos, made the guest bed in preparation for Christmas, gathered some things I wanted to take to town, made a trip to the attic for Christmas decorations, pulled the tree out from under a bed and took it to the livingroom, and took a number of outdoor pictures. I guess it was chilly in the house; I didn’t take my coat off but otherwise didn’t think much of the temperature. After a lunch of hot turkey soup, we decided to go ahead and drain the pipes so that we wouldn’t need to worry. We were back in Lewiston before 4:00.

We enjoyed an unhurried holiday week, including a supper with Ken and Ginny in honor of Ken’s birthday, Thanksgiving dinner at the Reece’s with the Nunans and a few from the cousin group, a nice email message from brother Chuck, seeing Clint and meeting his girlfriend, Elisha. I wrapped the first of my Christmas gifts and Clint will deliver them to our Boise family. Mason can think of nothing better than to “fix” VCRs, and as luck would have it, one of ours gave out just in time to be his Christmas gift. Mike enjoyed a day hunt with Ken and his son Michael. And we ordered a 37-inch LCD television set through Sears – an LG. So – that’s what we’ve been up to. What about you?

2 comments:

Hallie said...

I like the winter photos! I'm glad the pipes didn't burst! Guess what? I got Christmas Eve off so I'm taking Wednesday as PTO. That means that I'll be there Friday evening through Monday morning rather than leaving Sunday afternoon/evening. That will be MUCH nicer!

Kathy said...

Yes, that will be much nicer -- leaving Monday morning -- and maybe much better travelwise. I'm glad this worked out. I took a number of good winter photos at the farm. We might select one for our Christmas card. XO