Saturday, November 10, 2007

RAINY FALL DAY

We awoke to rain this morning. We were glad that Mike got a deer yesterday. Actually I think we are both relieved that this phase of hunting is over for us for the year. Mike made a trip to the meat packing plant in Orofino while Nellie and I stayed here. So, with the rain and all it seemed like a day to open Grandma's trunk and take a trip down memory lane. My Grandmother Ina allowed her children to look at the special things in her trunk on rainy days, a privilege I allow myself anytime. On this visit I found the original land patent on this property signed by Theodore Roosevelt. I think we'll frame it. I also discovered that during World War II soldiers wrote home free of charge. They just wrote their rank and military address as the return and the word "free" where the stamp goes. I also went to the attic and brought down some of the Dept. 56 Christmas pieces and the electric candles for the windows. Mike has been watching the Boise State game. Yesterday I made gingersnaps; tonight Mike will barbecue a small pork roast and sweet potatoes while I bake an impossible French apple pie. Won't you come for supper? KW

No comments: