Wednesday, November 28, 2007

THINKING OF RHODA . . .


This time of year always brings thoughts of Rhoda Hayes Smathers, a dear family friend. Her first husband was Bob Hayes, an Orofino grocer, who past away -- I'm guessing in the late 1950s. Her house sat back from the street in the lot adjacent to the Oud Apartments. She loved to work with ceramics; as I remember it, she had a dry kiln in her house. Often I was the recipient of her creative efforts; it's possible she gave those as we give our quilts, afghans, etc. As I unwrap my Christmas ceramics, I find the pieces she gave me -- a tree with Santa, his sleigh and five reindeer. I don't mean to sound ungrateful -- but where are the other three? Everyone knows the real Santa has eight reindeer. Nevertheless it's a charming set that looks so '50s and -- wonder of wonders -- is not broken. (There were always just five reindeer.) Well, the star did break off the tree, but I was able to mend it. And I made a trip to JoAnn's yesterday for glitter to make that star sparkle again. I also have a nativity that Rhoda made -- and yes, there are three wisemen -- but only one shepherd representing the whole group. Other pieces include a Santa mug and a Snowman mug and two choirboys -- all of it appropriate to Kathy's Vintage Christmas.










1 comment:

Hallie said...

As you can see in the photo, Santa is also very curious/upset at the missing 3 reindeer. They're probably off doing something irresponsible...you know, reindeer games.