Saturday, December 15, 2007

CHRISTMAS WITH INA, 1934 (3)

Christmas morning I arose tardily to begin my 1934 Xmas. Dad went to “feed the chores” and I began breakfast: biscuits and sausage for him, beefsteak, cream gravy, and lite bread for me, also grapefruit, cereal, cranberries, and honey oranges. I gave Dick [Aha! – the dog’s name is Dick! Here Dick!] a generous breakfast of meat scraps, etc., and the cats also with liver to top it off and wished them all a “Merry Xmas.” I then fell to work and was all done and dressed and fixing my apples for salad when the guests came. Doris & Ruth [June’s daughters] helped me lite the tree and arrange seats. It looked very pretty and everybody seemed to enjoy themselves.

The girls set the table and made themselves generally useful. Mrs. Cordell and Aunt helped in the kitchen. In fact, Aunt helped me out by dressing a fat young rooster and bringing it ready for the roaster. She also insisted on making pies since I had my hands full – mince and pumpkin. One of each would be plenty, I said, but no – here came two each and ginger cookies frosted. She’d tried a new recipe. So we had mince and pumpkin pie with whipped cream on it, ginger cookies, fruit cake and do-nuts, and fruit and whipped cream for that, coffee, oranges, nuts and candy besides the after dinner mints. Well, we just parceled out the leftovers amongst the guests. I got thru it just fine. It was a good day.

No comments: