Saturday, December 1, 2007

CHRISTMAS WITH INA -- INTRODUCTION



Ina's house in the 1930s -- and Kathy's house, 2007

“The house isn’t haunted,” volunteered my son, Clinton, who had just returned from spending a night or two in the farmhouse. At that time, we were still in the remodeling process. “He just doesn’t know,” I thought to myself. Just because there aren’t ethereal sightings doesn’t mean the house isn’t haunted. In fact, when Mike and I began to discuss the possibility of remodeling the farmhouse as our own home, I at once thought of my grandmother, of the abiding love her children had for her and then for her memory. And I wondered if I could really feel free to make the house my own. Mike and I continue to think often of the history – not only of the two Dobson families living on adjoining farms but of the Russell Ridge community in general.

Fortunately, my dad had a sense for what might prove interesting or important in the future and he saved letters written by his mother and siblings during the lean depression years. During the month of December I hope you will join me here as I share “Christmas with Ina” in her own words.

As my account begins in 1932, Ina is 62 years old, and Jack, her husband, is 69. The farmhouse is 15 years old. They have no running water, no well. They carry water from a spring. They have no electricity; they use kerosene lanterns for evening light and the house is heated by the fireplace and the old wood cook stove. Grandpa Jack farms with horses. Life on the farm is hard; they are older and tired and they have no choice but to keep on. They do have a telephone, and as you will see, they have just obtained a radio. Of their six children, only Shirley, age 22, remains at home. She will eventually marry Henry Shockley who is mentioned frequently in these letters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! And I love how you have kept the lines of the house the same. Don't you just love the look of homes with snow?? Timeless.

Kathy said...

Yes, the hose is essentially the same as built. In fact, we put the porch back. We closed two exterior doors on the side porch as we need only one entrance. We removed the dark walk-thru closet on the main floor creating more accessible storage under the stairway. The kitchen is now open to the diningroom.