Wednesday, December 5, 2007

CHRISTMAS WITH INA -- SHIRLEY WRITES

Shirley, Ina's youngest child, writes to Vance on 1-2-1933:

“Christmas and New Years are both history again after all the feverish making and planning and mailing. It did keep us going before Christmas, but it was fun and we surely made several somethings out of quite a lot of nothings.

“I decorated the house with lots of boughs and the Drain mistletoe [from relatives in Drain, Oregon] over both sides of the sliding doors, and your holly added so much to the window curtains. I’m very glad you sent it for it would have been a disappointment not to have any. . .

“On Wednesday night before Christmas a big bobsled load of us – nineteen in all and with a four-horse team – went up to the old schoolhouse to the school program and tree. It was lots of fun and I believe the last I went to was when . . . I was in the program myself back in 1923! I got a great kick out of watching these various kids perform and make mistakes and more fun still to see them eating candy and popcorn balls up front while the tree was being ‘had.’

“We had a lovely snowstorm this morning – quiet and such big soft flakes falling so thickly.”

2 comments:

murray.warnock said...

Kathy, it has been so interesting reading the Ina posts about Christmas in the same house 75 years ago! You must be so happy that those letters and photos were saved.

Kathy said...

Yes, I have enjoyed reading the letters immensely. And I feel so fortunate not only to have the pictures but to be able to identify most of them. And -- it's so great when someone mentions a picture they took and I locate it in the collection. Thanks for letting me know that you find these posts interesting. It has put the holidays into perspective for me.