Sunday, January 6, 2008

AM I VINTAGE?


In 1922 at the age of 58 (some of us can relate to that age), my Great Aunt Ida writes from her home in Drain, Oregon, to her sisters, Bertha and Ina: “I live mostly in the past now – and remember some things that I would not forget – and many others that I would willingly forget . . . But I am trying to look more and more into ‘the great beyond’ where there are so many that we love and where trouble can’t never enter – and the Great Father of all rules supreme. I look at people trying so hard to get wealth and affluence and wonder do they ever think of Eternity?” Dear Aunt Ida! She will continue “in this life” another 30 years.

A couple of years ago, Hallie mentioned an interest in the 1940s, and my curiosity was piqued. Ignoring that the world was at war in the 1940s and putting my own spin on the topic, I wondered about the everyday housewife -- how did she decorate her home, what was her kitchen like, how and what did she cook, what was popular in the way of handiwork, where did she get her ideas. I was convinced the internet would be a valuable research tool, but initially my search was fruitless – until I began to use the word “vintage.” And then the world of “old stuff” began to open. I’ve had a wonderful, wonderful time with this “journey.” I’ve expanded my timeframe to include the 1930s through the 1950s. It awakened me to what I had at my fingertips – family letters, recipes, magazines, linens, photographs, handiwork (finished and unfinished), and the interesting hodgepodge of old stuff in drawers. I’m fascinated to the point of replicating. Just don’t take away my creature comforts!

So, I am not vintage and neither are you. But any stuff I’m carrying with me from my growing up years and before – very vintage, very desirable, very collectible, very interesting – even the junk.
[In the photo above taken Nov. 21, 1942, sisters Ida Patchen and Ina Dobson stand in front surrounded by other family members: Edna (Ida's daughter), Vance Dobson, Stanley Sanders, and Grandpa Jack Dobson.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, this message seems to be close to home for me. Glad to hear I'm not vintage! :-) (Although after vacation, I feel perilously close to *ancient* following a day back at school and herding children into their many snow clothes. I shouldn't have let my guard down and relaxed--it's hard to get the momentum back up!)

How goes the Holly Hobbie doll?

Kathy said...

Well, it sounds to me as though you needed the relaxation and rest. I got the doll started making orange polka dots with six strands of floss. I have a hard time loading the needle so I bought a package of several sizes as well as a needle threader. I contemplated changing the colors but in the end followed the suggestions. My work just isn't as good as I'd like it to be -- ever.

Anonymous said...

It's the overall look when you're done--no one but you will ever look at each polka dot. And keeping with the colors will keep the vintage look. So consider me your cheerleader and enjoy each stitch! :-)

Chris, who dearly loved this "snow day", which also happened to be our 36th anniversary!

Kathy said...

That's such a good thought, Chris, about the overall effect. Yes, it's hard to realize that the 1970s are also vintage now. And, as you remember, those years had a distinct characterization in terms of colors (gold, brown, greens, oranges). I found the clothes of that era to be uncomfortable -- tight armholes, narrow shoulders --just kinda skimply on my round figure.