Thursday, January 3, 2008

HALLMARK HOUSES

Generally speaking, Hallmark ornaments aren’t my thing. Just because you can make it out of plastic doesn’t mean it should go on a tree. But, as the new Hallmark ornaments are unveiled in July of each year, I’m there to buy the current edition in the line of nostalgic houses and shops. It all started in 1981 (date approximate) when I fell in love with the first house in the series, a pink “dollhouse.” I actually bought it as a gift but decided to keep it. The next year, I discovered post-Christmas shopping and bought the second house in the series at half price. Now I knew that I was committed to buying the series and just when I could get them at a bargain price. But year three, I was disappointed to discover there were no leftover houses to be had at the after-Christmas sale. And that’s the reason I now buy at the unveiling.

Yes, I am current with all houses in the series. But wait, you say -- you missed a year. Yes, I did, and I was without that house for many years. But one December evening in 2000, I went to our computer to check my email. Hallie was at Oregon State in Corvallis. A message popped up before me as though she knew I was there. “Mom, what is the year of the Hallmark house you are missing?” said the message. “How did you know I was here?” I asked. “I’m psychic,” she replied. “I found one on eBay and I’m bidding on it. How high should we go?” “Get it,” I said. So, I paid $75.00 for the one I missed and considered it worth the price to complete my set.

Over the years I’ve displayed the houses in various ways. When I had just a few, they seemed lost on the tree, so I placed the little village on an end table here or on top of a cabinet there. Eventually there were enough to grace the mantel. Then there were too many for the mantel but enough to be effective on the tree. So, yes, I have a theme tree.

And that’s a story for another entry.

2 comments:

Hallie said...

You might receive comments to this blog about how expensive $75 is for an ornament. BUT, you have no idea how much a complete set could go for! Put it in the will...

Kathy said...

Yes, I agree that it's much more valuable as a complete set. But I try not to get caught up in collector mentality. It's mine to enjoy now. I'm not preserving it for posterity. And we got a great memory out of finding that missing house. XO