Monday, January 28, 2008

MEET JACK


In a letter dated October 1934, Ina writes to Vance in response to his criticism of his dad, Jack:

“Myrtle said that you give all credit to me for you children, but Belovedest! You have a lot to give Dad credit for, too, though I know how you feel about some things. He is honest, hardworking, ambitious, independent, public spirited; wanted to carve his own way and not work for someone else, wanted his sons to do likewise and never wanted his daughters to work for others. He’s always been strictly decent, does not believe in ‘filthy communication.’ He’s been greatly handicapped by being a poor head at arithmetic, a poor manager, and having a wild, excitable temper. Let’s give credit for the much that is good. I’m not blaming you for not doing so. I’ve complained a lot and not made enough of the good points.”

This little paragraph speaks volumes to me. It says that Ina has been guilty of criticizing Jack to the children to such an extent that at least one is taking her side. She has the grace to acknowledge that, expound on Jack’s virtues and relate his difficulties as handicaps. Ina says that Jack wanted to find success as an independent workman and he wanted that for his sons and daughters as well. Was this a general attitude of the time? Did this motivate the homestead movement? I want to know more.
[The photo above was taken in the 1940s -- Vance, Jack, and Earle in the farmyard.]

2 comments:

Hallie said...

Well, the man who can't/won't work for others is often the man who is difficult to work FOR. But I do believe that most people are motivated by good intentions.

Kathy said...

I guess I didn't think of him as an employer, though I know they used hired hands during harvest when the crop was lucrative. Certainly he wasn't a traditional employer. The farmers often helped one another.