Sunday, January 20, 2008

MANNIKIN

It took me a while to find this next doll online. At first, I was calling her a jointed doll and that didn’t get me very far. A lot of dolls are jointed. But then I heard the inner voice say (yes, I have an inner voice and so do you), “16 joints.” Aha! That’s it! And with that I found info on “Dollikins” and “Mannikin.” I think my doll is a Mannikin. I think I named her Sandra.

I don’t remember the exact year she was my Christmas doll – maybe 1961 or so. My hope was to move beyond simple baby doll clothes and make her an exquisite wardrobe. She came dressed in plaid pants, a red felt vest, and high heels. Those were the days when Mary Tyler Moore was setting fashion trends by wearing Capri pants on television. Women were just beginning to experiment with slacks. So this doll outfit was very trendy. She looked great in the box – very sophisticated, but --- when we took her out, the back of her hair was an absolute mess. I have no idea what could have happened to her. The upper layer of her rooted saran hair had been chopped off and what was left below that was a tangled mess – and still is. Mother and I were both disappointed and it should have been unacceptable, but Mother said, “Oh well” and I never complained. And that was that.

One day in the same timeframe, Chris came to my house and brought her lovely lady doll. She was about the size of mine but built a little differently -- slimmer. The pattern we had actually fit her doll while we had to adjust for my doll – another disappointment. Mother helped both of us sew that afternoon. I was making a bridal gown – and true to form it took me forever to finish it! And Chris made an evening gown for hers -- maybe two or three gowns while I struggled with mine. Anyway, that afternoon of sewing is a pleasant memory. There should have been more such afternoons. Surely we couldn’t have been that busy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're going to make me tear my basement apart looking for that doll and that dress, aren't you? The dress was made of light green satin with the same shade of green netting over the top. The fabric was leftover from the bridesmaids' dresses from my cousin Randy's wedding in September of '61. Mom had some rhinestone hearts that had once graced a dress of hers and I attached those at the top of the skirt's shirring. I was sooo proud of that dress!! Thanks for the memories.

Kathy said...

Your pride in your workmanship was (is) certainly justified. It's great that you can provide a date based on an event. I'm glad to know you still have the doll. I'm wondering if Connie (hairdresser) might be able to help me with Sandra's hair. But if I get these dolls out, where will I put them? KW

Anonymous said...

I have been working on report cards and have not looked for the doll. I do think she's under the stairs in the "dark hole of Calcutta." Maybe next weekend.

Where to put your dolls? Hmmm, not having been in your new house, I'm not able to say, but perhaps a corner of a bedroom, making a little display? I have dolls and bears stashed here and there and so far no one has tripped over them or tried to commit me! :-)

Kathy said...

There's one thing about it -- the doll is going to wait for you. That's the great thing about dolls -- they have infinite patience. KW