Monday, February 11, 2008

ARE YOU PREPARED FOR THE GREAT DISASTOR?

In my opinion, it’s just not productive thinking to worry about potential disaster, whether personal, local, or worldwide. Paraphrasing Jesus, There shall be wars and rumors of wars; see that ye be not troubled. But I’ve often wondered if I shouldn’t better organize my foodstuffs and supplies so that we could be self sufficient for as long as possible. Recent articles in the Lewiston Tribune have presented the need for household preparedness should a projected pandemic materialize. One article suggested the importance of staying home in case of contagious disease and avoiding marketplaces. In another article an LDS family provided insight as to what provisions they have stored and websites where guidelines are provided.

The need for preparedness presents challenging issues. Mike and I are not good about keeping stores in reserve. When we finish the oat bran, we buy more oat bran. When we’re out of rice, we get more rice. (You get the idea.) It seems to me the better habit is to have one in reserve; when you open that one, buy another. But it’s another mindset entirely to think of what a household needs to operate for a long stretch of time. We determined to research this matter of developing an emergency storehouse, and we should probably do that in two places – in town and on the farm. It seems to us that we would go to the farm especially in the event of a pandemic – but what if we couldn’t? Several years ago I promised Milo that I would take care of his children on the farm if need arose. If your household is two people but you want to help more people, how do you deal with that? I will need guidelines.

What about you? Have you thought about this? Do you believe in this type of readiness? KW
[Farm families were largely self-sufficient, canning not only fruits and vegetables but also meat for the family's use. Often they were generous with neighbors, sharing of their abundance. Here's a photo of the Jack Dobson family about 1918: Jack, Vance, Myrtle, Ina, Shirley and seated in front are Ethel and Irl.]

5 comments:

Hallie said...

I actually just watched a fascinating History Channel documentary on the Black Death. So, yes. I HAVE thought about it. Coincidentally, my plan was also to come to the farm (I'll be bringing Nick), so be sure to stock enough for us, too. Ha ha!

I really try not to think about these possibilities too much.

Anonymous said...

We never know when some event will disrupt the normal flow of food, fuel, etc. You can get some ideas on providentliving.org, an LDS church site. We have been counseled for years to get a years' supply of food, water, and fuel, although some of these are impractical. My thoughts are 1. buy one extra every time you buy. 2. have enough food, water and fuel to last at least 72 hours. 3. have a 3-month supply of rotatable food. Hot water heaters are a good source of emergency water, as long as it has not been contaminated.

We have a 72-hour kit for each of us in a backpack we can toss in the car and go. I also try to have all the vehicles at least half full of fuel and a way to transfer it to another for an emergency trip. CPW

Kathy said...

Great ideas from Chuck. Hallie, you & Nick could each keep 72-hr kits in storage. I have yet to research websites, but I have determined to start my readiness project by removing all non-food items from the pantry, which means I need to rearrange my kitchen. I started today. Besides the website Chuck mentioned, another is getpandemicready.org.

Hallie said...

Oh, I actually have a 3 week storage up the hill at the Safeway. I'll just grab it on my way out of town. I also keep a full tank of gas up the hill at the Safeway gas station. No need to worry about me!

Kathy said...

I'm really not worried about anyone, including my children. I don't intend to live my life as if doom looms. But I'm using these ideas to better organize my pantry. Running to the store all the time is at least costly and inconvenient. And I would hate to find myself unnecessarily dependent on others or unable to care for myself and my family. XO