Sunday, February 10, 2008

CERTIFICATES & DOLLS


Mother passed away on March 7, 1997 -- nearly 11 years ago. Nevertheless, her name still appears on the property notices we receive from the Clearwater County Assessor. Mike stopped by there on business some months back and suggested they remove Mother’s name from the property. They said they would be glad to -- as soon as we show them her death certificate. I asked Harriet if she had a copy I could borrow. She either didn’t have one or couldn’t immediately lay her hands on it. She believed it likely she had never had a copy, so I decided to order one. After all, it’s not a bad thing to have on hand. I’ll just put it away with other genealogical records. Since she passed away in Clarkston, I checked the State of Washington webpage which took me to VitalCheck where indeed I could order the certificate at a cost of $31.00 -- $25.00 for the certificate and $6.00p/h. A bit much, I thought, but it couldn’t be helped.

Meanwhile, a representative of Primeland contacted Harriet stating they are carrying a small credit ($12.00) in Mother’s name and would like to clear it off their books. Harriet could have the $12.00 if she would show them Mother’s death certificate.

So, last Wednesday, Feb. 6, Harriet and I agreed to meet at her house. I took the certificate and a foot-long roast beef sandwich which we shared with Bill. She made a photocopy of the certificate for herself, and then we had fun taking pictures of her doll that Mother dressed. Since this doll’s name is Rachel it was only natural that she should be Harriet’s. Apparently the doll was originally Mother’s in childhood. I hope you can see the smocking on the bodice and sleeves.

2 comments:

Hallie said...

That's a very pretty doll. Do her eyes close when you tip her back?

Kathy said...

Yes, I think her eyes close. Harriet & I discussed that we didn't know Mother had this doll --or that her name was Rachel. When Mother was seven, I think, there was a fire involving items left in storage. Her baby doll and dishes were lost. Her parents did not replace those things. I think she resented that. Just where this Rachel came in, I'm not sure. XO