Saturday, February 23, 2008

FARM REPORT

Mike and I left TaxTyme in Lewiston for the farm at 9:00 a.m., and I pulled into our Clarkston driveway at 2:00. It was a quick trip. We had the Dakota loaded with items we wanted to leave there, but in the end that was all for naught. Snow increased as we traveled up the grade. Though Dobson Road was clear, the snow in the lane was drifted and soft. We had to walk from the cable posts. We soon discovered it was easiest to walk at the edge of the field.

While we were unable to carry much in or out, we do have peace of mind knowing that things there are generally good. We saw no sign of mice in the house proper and caught only one in the attic trap. The wind had blown a chaise lounge off the porch and we didn’t find the garbage can but the lid was there – go figure! Also, we had left the canopy cover from the old truck on railroad ties at ground level and the wind had overturned and tossed it 40 feet! A vent pipe on the roof broke and will have to be fixed. The pond has a ways to go to fill. But -- the tv set and satellite came right on and it appeared the electricity had not been off. The 4-wheeler started right up and Mike picked up limbs in the grove.

I forgot to take the list of things I wanted to bring back, but of course, that didn’t matter. I had my head on straight anyway: I stuffed one of my coat pockets with bits of lace trim and the other with some old family recipes. I bundled up some of the old letters and picked up a book I wanted. We also picked up the yellow strapping Clint inadvertently left there -- I forget what he called it -- and brought it back to town. I forgot to take the camera with me when I started walking, so I just took a few photos of the lane before we left the farm. [Can you find the dog in this photo? She's the brown spot right in the center.]

3 comments:

Hallie said...

I could NOT see the dog until I made the photo big. It made me laugh when I found her! I'm surprised with all the mention of garbage cans and lids that Dad hasn't rigged up a solution. My idea: Install a stake in the ground with a loop on top. Then, affix a chain to the bottom of the can with a clip that you can join to the loop on the stake. I also think affixing the lid to the can is a good idea.

P.S. Did Dad get racing stripes on the Magnum?

Kathy said...

I knew she was there when I took the picture, but until I enlarged it I thought the brown speck was the spot on her rump. Of course, it's her head! I will relay your ideas for garbage can stabilization.

Mike bought the racing stripe but has yet to affix it.

Hallie said...

Interesting. I didn't know racing stripes worked that way. I thought they were painted on. Will you be able to remove it if you change your mind?