Tuesday, February 19, 2008

LITTLE GIRLS WITH UMBRELLAS


The photo on the left is of Mike's mother. Her birthdate is 8-16-14; I'm guessing she's about 4 years old in this picture. It was taken in Arkansas, I believe.
The photo on the right is of my dad's younger sister, Shirley, who was born in September 1910. I'm guessing that she also is about 4 -- maybe 5. The photo was taken at the Gilbert homeplace -- probably by Ina, her mother. Note the cat at her feet.
Here in town we're seeing signs of spring. The crocus are pushing up through the soil, the trees are budding, the hollyhocks show new growth, and the little volunteer spinach plants continue to wait for warmer days. Highs have been in the mid-50s with lows in the high 20s. This morning I counted 12 mule deer in Mary Jane's yard. Yes, a herd of mule deer has made itself at home in Mary Jane's yard just up the street from us.

No comments: