Tuesday, February 5, 2008

ON BUYING FABRIC


It’s odd the things that limit us. And how wonderful liberation can feel!

When I was growing up, only scraps of fabric were used for doll clothes and that only with Mother’s approval. If there was enough fabric in the scrap to make clothing for an actual person, it was not used for doll clothes. (And probably not used for any other purpose either – hence mental “eye rolling” on my part). I’m sure Mother’s philosophy was wise and the training above reproach, but I can’t tell you how much fabric we disposed of when we moved Mother from the house – garbage sacks full. Except for a few special pieces, we gave away or tossed the rest. I should have called friends, but I honestly thought no one would want that old fabric. How I would love the privilege of going through all of that now. I was lamenting this as I dreamed over dresses for my little dolls.

Then it suddenly occurred to me: I can go to the store and buy fabric – anything I want. I don’t even have to look at the price tag, and I don’t have to ask anyone for approval (though sometimes that’s difficult because I can’t make up my mind!). So, the other day I stopped in at Jo-Ann’s and looked over the dressier fabrics. I chose a fresh-looking white eyelet for the little party dress, but the inner voice said, “No, don’t have it cut yet. Look around a minute.” Eventually I came to the remnants rack – and what do you know! Right there was almost a yard of that very eyelet fabric – and another pretty white remnant as well. So, you see, training dies hard and an eye to conservatism is always good.

4 comments:

Hallie said...

I was at Jo-Ann's one weekend when they were having a big sale. A woman in line in front of me had some fabric that rang up at $24,000 due to a computer glitch. They canceled the transaction and rang it up again. The next time it rang at $37,000. The THIRD time $44,000!

My point is that yes, you should still pay attention to your receipt.

Kathy said...

Yes -- The outlandish and impossible is easier to trace than the smaller amounts. I love to hang out at Jo-Ann's and listen to the conversations. "What are you making?" is often asked. Once the clerk was upset because the same week her mother passed away, her dad threw out all of her patterns. KW

Anonymous said...

I so well remember going to the Dry Goods store in Orofino, back when it was near Tait's (or maybe Tait's took over the same building?) and buying flannel to make doll clothes for $.49/yd. One day I was really embarrassed because I got 1/2 yard each of two colors and the cost was $.50 (pre sales tax days). I was short a penny. They gave me the two cuts, but told me not to do it again. I felt like a criminal!!! I figured a yard was a yard. Mom rarely gave me scraps--and she sewed all my dresses. I have no idea where the scraps went because I don't ever remember seeing them about. Maybe she managed to squeeze my dresses out of less than what was called for and there weren't any leftovers.

Kathy said...

Well, I am incensed for you, Chris! So, $.49/yard is $.245 per half yard and that rounds to $.25 and you have two of them so that's $.50. I remember my dad explaining to me that retailers round up, never down. Still, that's really "small" thinking -- and to say that to a child! Well, I'll bet you've never done it again. (I also think you know more about what happened than the clerk did.)