Sunday, March 30, 2008

ABOUT HELEN KELLER

In my comments on a previous blog, I never meant to downplay the importance of Helen Keller and her place in American history. Typical of Milo though, he picked up on my underlying bias of which I am not proud. I’m glad to hear of your interest in Helen which must naturally extend to her teacher, Anne Sullivan Macy, who remained a big part of Helen’s life. I did an internet search this morning on “The Miracle Worker.” Keep in mind that I am a child of the ‘50s and ‘60s. Here is a brief synopsis of what I found:

“The Miracle Worker” is a play written by William Gibson based on the book, “The Story of My Life,” by Helen Keller. It was first presented as a television play on “Playhouse 90” in 1957. Shortly thereafter, it became a Broadway play with Anne Bancroft as Anne Sullivan and Patty Duke as Helen. In 1962, the same actors reprised their rolls for the movie – much seen, much lauded. The same play was then remade for television in 1979 with Patty Duke as Annie and Melissa Gilbert as Helen. It was again remade for television in 2000. Also, in 1984, a television sequel was presented, titled “Helen Keller: The Miracle Continues.”

At helenkellerbirthplace.org, the official website of the Helen Keller Foundation located at Ivy Green near Tuscumbia, Alabama, the text immediately states that you have come to the right place if you want to know about Helen Keller. You’ll also find a lot of info at afb.org (American Foundation for the Blind). I find myself especially interested in the letters of Anne Sullivan written while she worked with Helen as a child.

I’m going to confess right now that I know more about Helen’s story as a blind-deaf than I know about her accomplishments. I know nothing about her actual life. So – while I feel this story has been done, and done, and done some more -- maybe I need to increase my appreciation by doing some research myself. With your internet connection, information is as close as your fingertips, including the text of some books.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I could be wrong, it happened once before, but I believe Hellen was in part responsible for the foundation of the NAACP. I'm interested in her as the father of a disabled child.
Speaking of Mason there is a very sweet and acurate Movie about a couple with aspergers syndrome. Quite acurate and well acted, it's called Motzart and The Whale. While the autistic spectum is endlessly diverse I see similarities between Mason and both main charicters in this film and highly recomend it.

Kathy said...

(LOL) When I first read your comment I thought you meant that Helen was the father of a disabled child. I thought you must have been very tired when you wrote that! I don't know anything about Helen and the NAACP but a simple computer search will tell you. Thanks for telling us about the movie. I think it's right for you to research individuals who achieved despite odds, then ask yourself why that happened. Try to put "disability" into perspective. Love to all -- KW

Hallie said...

I think we say, "Differently Abled" now.

Kathy said...

I like that -- "differently abled." I never heard that before. Aunt Chris says she likes to teach with rascally little boys who are non-traditional learners. XO