Tuesday, March 18, 2008

EASTER WEEK

So – the irreverent St. Patrick’s Day landed in Holy Week this year! Mike and I celebrated with pork chops in mushroom gravy and “Chinese” cabbage salad. It just doesn’t seem possible that it’s the Easter season already. Frankly, when I see the ads for Easter baskets, candy, stuffed animals, and “cheap” trinkets and toys -- all of it relating to ducks, bunnies, and eggs -- I’m grateful I no longer need to concern myself with such things. Of all the traditions, “hide & seek” for Easter eggs and filling baskets with candy and treats for children was my least favorite. I was grateful when my children agreed that if I provided some candy I could be excused from making Easter baskets. I’m not a purist or a fanatic – I simply don’t enjoy doing it. Coloring Easter eggs was the last to go, I believe. Hallie and I did that together until she either lost interest or just didn’t have time.

Despite my feelings, I did indulge in just a little Easter holiday buying today. Harriet is bringing a couple of friends and coming to tea on Thursday, so yesterday – St. Patrick’s Day – I put away my Christmas display in favor of more seasonable items. I set out some of my milk glass pieces filled with jelly beans and plastic eggs as well as family photos and a few antiques and appropriate collectibles. And yes, I had fun doing these simple things. No photos for you today – I'm not ready. Maybe Thursday.

What do you think of the commercialization of Easter? Do you have Easter traditions you enjoy or that are special to you? KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

I do know that on at least one occasion I woke up and had to tell Mom that the Easter bunny had not come yet. I believe I was then instructed to go downstairs to watch TV and assured that the bunny would arrive.

Kathy said...

I just hated to leave all that candy where a child who had yet to eat breakfast could find it! XO