Monday, March 3, 2008

PREPARING FOR THE NEW ARRIVAL, 1884

I have just finished transcribing a wonderful letter written by Ina’s older sister, Ida Jane Patchen. In this letter, Ida begs her mother to come and help deliver her second baby. Ida and her husband, Ed, are living near Paisley, Oregon, and her parents are some 50 miles south in Lakeview, Oregon. This letter, written on a piece of ledger paper, has obviously been read and enjoyed many times through the years.

“Well, Ma, I have been down to see Mrs. Hammersley about you know what. She says she is willing to come and do what she can but does not want to take the responsibility on her own shoulders. So it is either you or thirty dollars – the price charged by old Doc Owsley at Paisley. She thinks you had better come up and stay a few days. Then I’ll be sure of good care. She talks like she wouldn’t mind coming and doing all she could if you was here. She has been to lots such places. Mrs. Lewis is a young woman and could only do what she was told . . . so if you can possibly come at all, we want you to come up in a few days. Now be sure and come and we will try and make it all right as soon as we can. Tell Ina she is big enough and knows enough to take care of things all right for a while and as soon as I can possibly spare you we will send you home again. Don’t stop to wash or do anything so that you miss coming on the day set for you as Ed will get leaf [sic] of absence from Hammersley and be at Paisley with the team for you and bring you right up. . .

“Now Pa, you make Ma be sure and come fast, that is the greatest favor you can do me now. And can’t you manage it so you can stay at home nights if the children are afraid to stay alone? It ain’t more than a good step to the barn, is it?

“Ma, be sure to come up on the 7th on Saturday. Now for mercy sakes don’t disappoint us, for I am afraid to stay alone any longer than then. Ed will be sure and meet you. Ina, you help get ready and get her off as soon as you can. I know you can take care of everything all right until she gets back.”

And here’s what Ina relates about this incident in her life story:
“In the spring of ’84 we moved to a more roomy house, and Ed and Idy went up to a sawmill near Paisley, about 50 miles north of Lakeview. Idy was expecting her second baby and wanted Bertha’s company and help. Ed hauled lumber from the mill to Paisley and they passed a pleasant summer. In June Ma went up to be on hand when the baby came. She went by stage. While she was gone three weeks, I was left to keep house for Pa and the boys. I was only thirteen. Then your Dad and Gene Patchen came on the scene. I didn’t know Gene, tho he was Ma’s nephew, and of course had never seen Julian. It worried me to have to cook for them, but I managed some way, till Ma got back.”

[I know I've posted this photo before, but this is the best one I have here in town of my great-aunt, Ida Jane Dickson Patchen. She's standing in the front row wearing a sweater. Just behind her is her daughter, Edna, whose immanent birth is under discussion above. Aunt Ida would be 78 here, while Edna is 58. Grandma Ina is 71.]

No comments: