Thursday, March 27, 2008

READY TO GET READY


I continue, albeit slowly, to make my household pandemic ready. I began by cleaning the pantry in our modular home. It seemed like a daunting task until I realized I didn’t have to do it all at once.


[The photo on the left is of the walk-in pantry in our modular home. Strategically placed in the corner, it offers a bit of a buffer between the kitchen and the master bedroom. The photo on the right is a "before" picture on the shelves. I really like having a pantry; deeper shelves would improve it.]



I began my readiness project, as I call it, by removing from the pantry anything that wasn’t food. Storage containers were assimilated into the kitchen cupboards. A box of garbage can liners went out to the shed. I also moved my flour and sugar canisters to the kitchen counter near the mixer, which was handier anyway. Then one by one I cleaned and lined the shelves. This is the "after" photo.
Now I am ready to get ready -- but meanwhile, Let 'em eat cake!

4 comments:

Hallie said...

Dear Diary,

I've found in my mother's retirement that she's become extremely organized. I am not surprised that this happened, what with the extra time, the desire for accomplishment, and the satisfaction of efficiency. I am surprised, however, that the fear of a pandemic is her main motivating factor. Oh well.

Until next time, Diary!

P.S. I wonder what has happened to Aunt Chris?

Kathy said...

Obviously, if I were afraid of the pandemic, I'd be moving a lot faster. I simply enjoy having supplies on hand. And besides, it's fun to make a game out of work -- to adopt a purpose.

I think Aunt Chris is busy. She sent me Easter greetings by email. The radio said that Moscow schools were closed again today due to snow, so I hope she had a good "bonus" day. XO

debdog42 said...

I would love to even have a pantry so it looks great to me. I do buy in bulk but it is all over the house!! HA-HA!!

Kathy said...

Yes, the pantry does make buying in bulk more appealing. Now we also have the shed and if we would unpack a few more boxes, we would have room out there for some supplies. KW