Tuesday, March 11, 2008

TIME CHANGE

I have to admit I was unprepared for this early switch to Daylight Savings Time. Clint mentioned it when he called last week, and I was grateful for the alert. He said people there (eastern Idaho) were looking forward to the longer evenings but he didn’t look forward to the dark mornings. While that’s not an issue with me, I do notice that we have been waking up about 7:00 PDT which was about 6:00 last week – our usual habit. I expect as we get used to the time change, we will begin to get up at 6:00 again. We are basically fairly early risers.

When I retired, a co-worker suggested we would probably start sleeping in. I said I didn’t think so. As our family grew, my habit of waking early became strongly rooted, and I prefer to get up early, even though it wasn’t my natural inclination at first. I’ve long noted that I tend to accomplish in the morning and coast in the afternoon. I don’t like to take naps – at least not yet. Sleeping in the daytime tends to disorient me – an awful feeling. I have been that way since childhood. If I become sleepy during the day, I will take a walk or change my activity for a while.

What about you? Do you like daylight time? Does morning darkness bother you? Do you wish we would adopt one system or the other and stop switching? Of course, you are entitled to your opinion but it will not sway the government in its infinite wisdom.
[The above photo is representative of the crocus that bloom in our rock garden. Every fall I plant a few more bulbs, mostly crocus and daffodils since the deer don't bother them. I also plant bulbs on the farm but usually don't see the crocus as they are past by the time we open the house in the spring. Last fall I planted iris and daffodils on the bank behind the farmhouse. Oh! I can hardly wait to see those. I hope it's a successful planting. The photo to the right is of our "volunteer" spinach which has wintered through (as well as some weeds, of course). I'll let the spinach get a little larger and then taste it. I believe it's not too early to plant some more spinach. I'll do it soon.]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say, I abhor, hate, and despise the time change. Just when it's getting light in the morning (and I am most definitely NOT a morning person), making it easier to get up, they change the time. Blech!! Phooey!!! Bananas!! And all those clocks to change!! No, no, no.

Opinionatedly yours,
Chris

Hallie said...

Time changes are stupid, they anger me, and for the next two weeks I will continue to be tired and grumpy about it. I did get out for a run in the daylight, which may not have happened otherwise, but getting up in the morning now involves a lot of moaning and groaning.

Do I like daytime naps??? YOU BET I DO! I took a daytime nap both last weekend and this one, too. Long ones. ONE HOUR naps. Way longer than a power nap, but oh so satisfying! Love sleep!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Hallie--love naps, too! Forgot to add that to my previous post. I've read that many genius types take naps, so I've thrown myself into their category. Smile.

P.S. Dan says the two dumbest creatures on earth are chickens and cows and daylight savings time doesn't fool them!

Kathy said...

I was going to make a comment something like Dan's with regard to the crocus. Somehow they just do their thing -- never mind the time change.

Well, it's bedtime and I must take that long nightime nap. Love to you all . . . XO

M/W said...

I always look forward to DST. I love having the extra daylight later and the darker mornings are no big deal. Having lived in east, south and north Idaho I've always been of the opinion that the state should stay all year in what would be Standard time in the south and Daylight time in the north. Then the state would be uniform too.