Friday, March 28, 2008

WANTED: FRUMPY FROCK c.1935


I am looking for a frumpy housedress such as Ina might have worn in the 1930s. It must not be fashionable. It should probably fit me loosely. I could make it myself if I had a pattern. One of my favorite websites, Vintagecat, has a couple of patterns that would be suitable. The problem is that sizing was different then and I don't have a clue what size I need. It's okay if it's a little big. It's not okay for it to be too small. If I can get fairly close to the appropriate size, I can make the alterations. It's not absolutely necessary that it be totally authentic but I would like it to be of the type worn by the Dickson ladies in this picture.


I am not opposed to ordering the pattern and retro fabric. But I thought I'd mention it on the blog first in case you know of a source. Does anyone have an idea where I might find such a dress or pattern?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's Dan's pattern for a dress like those shown: get twenty yards of fabric, cut in half, gather one section, sew the other section down the sides and cut a hole in the top for your head. Men!! They never get high fashion.

I have a picture of my great grandmother Whitworth (Granny's mom) with her sisters in the 1930's and it's practically identical to the one you posted.

Curiosity forces me to ask: why do you want one?? Wait--I know, I know--you want an "American Gothic" picture of you and Mike for the family photo albums?? Dan suggests that instead of a pitchfork, Mike should hold a shotgun.

Oh so creatively yours on this Saturday morning,

Chris (and Dan)

Anonymous said...

Uncle Dan here,

It has been noted that Hallie has been wondering what happened to Aunt Chris. She was last seen entering her pattern archives looking for frumpy dress patterns. Signs of life include coughing, hacking and choking noises, and lots of dust.

Future sightings will be reported in a timely manner.

Dan

Kathy said...

Well, Uncle Dan, I'm glad I incited Aunt Chris to action. I just had to laugh at your assessment of the dresses, and you're right -- if I were clever or practiced enough I should be able to make a frumpy frock. I'm just surprised you didn't comment on the foundation garments -- or lack thereof. I made a new entry on why I want a frumpy frock. Photos are interesting -- only the names and faces change, as they say. Can you scan your photo and send it to me? I could post it. KW