Sunday, April 6, 2008

WHAT'S "OLD" TO YOU?


As we walked through Pioneer Park the other day, Mike and I paused to check on our little sidewalk plaque. These plaques were sold in 1990 to fund renovation of park features for the Idaho State Centennial celebration, “Statehood Week in Pioneer Park.” Because I was working for the museum at the time, I had an automatic seat on the committee. We bought a plaque and listed all the members of our family. We were farsighted in that decision; we thought the time might come when someone reading the plaques would remember one of the children who might not remember us as a family.

1990 was a long time ago, Mike and I agreed. Time is so relative, though. We were visiting with Clinton about a few movies we had seen on television – movies filmed in the 1990s – you know, modern times in my book. Mike and I watch – and enjoy – old movies dating from the ‘30s, ‘40s, ‘50s. And if I begin to squirm in my seat because of violence or suspense, Mike will say, “We’ll find some G-rated Disney movie for you.” So, I was feeling pretty pleased that I could discuss a couple of movies with Clinton – “Seven” and “Sling Blade” – both of which were pretty intense. Then Clinton says, “That’s an old movie, though. When was that made? 1997?” That just doesn’t fit my definition of an old movie. KW

3 comments:

Hallie said...

When I first saw the picture of that plaque, I thought it was a gravestone. I read the first line and thought, "Oh, ANOTHER Mike and Kathy" then I read the second line and realized it was US. So glad it's not a gravestone!

Anonymous said...

But what if it really is a gravestone Hallie. Perhaps our parents have secretly become members of some strange cult and are planning our group demise at some future date as a necessary final step on our road to eternal salvation? You can never be too careful.

But on a lighter note, perhaps I'm biased, but I consider the ninteys to have been a golden age for film and music inovation. The new milenium seems stale and uninspired in comparison. I'm a construcion worker, and thus, an expert on the arts.
I also really like movies from the more distant past that were something special, at the time and that forever changed the way movies were made. As far as the common b movie, though, I really don't care for them. - mvw

Hallie said...

Our parents are definitely NOT plotting our deaths. You are SO weird sometimes. *sigh*

I don't like how much gore is in new movies. I saw a movie that was almost good, but it had several scenes of extreme gore that I could have done without. It was called In Bruges.