Monday, April 7, 2008

MARY JANE'S MULE DEER

This morning I visited my friend Mary Jane who lives up the road from me, and while I was there, the neighborhood mule deer moved into her yard. They have eaten all of her tulips and were munching potentilla outside her living room window when we first saw them. They pressed their noses to the windows and peered in as though we were on display for their benefit. I came home for the camera and went back to photograph them. You can see how they have made themselves at home in her yard. I'm sure they love the soft grass.


The photo above is the first one I took. You can see they are comfortable and unconcerned. As I moved in closer, they got to their feet and eyed me more warily. They basically stood their ground, though.








I took this photo as I was leaving just to show their proximity to the house. As you can see, the yard is spacious and open. They have been coming and going from this yard all winter in numbers from five to twelve. I'm sure they will roam around the neighborhood this summer as well. Two years ago we had two doe with twins who sometimes roamed together. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

Oh boy! I sure wish you had a photo of them pushing their noses against the window!!! I bet that was funny.

Kathy said...

I'm slowly learning not to go anywhere without the camera. Another opportunity may come my way.

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't forget the bow and arrows either! Deer......yuuuumy. -mvw

Kathy said...

Mary Jane enjoys watching the deer, so I don't say much. While I enjoy watching the deer, too, I think it's creepy when they are comfortable enough to watch me through the windows. It's true that we (humans) are intruders here. Someone told me that the reason there are so many deer on Russell Ridge (the farm) is because they were displaced on the North Fork by Dworshak Dam.