Monday, April 28, 2008

UNTIL THE BATTERY DIED . . .


Hey! I just thought I’d let you know we came back to town from the homestead this morning. We made several stops along the way and I found 8 bottlecaps. We spent the afternoon in pre-op activities for Mike’s surgery on Thursday, May 1 (outpatient arthroscopic and decompression procedure on left shoulder with Dr. Flock at St. Joe’s). I’ll write more about our weekend activities tomorrow. For now – here are just a few photos I took yesterday before the camera batteries died.

The first photo is the weekly photo report on the daffodils in the grove. At one time those daffodils formed a border and I asked Mike to help me restore that by cutting back some of the grass. It's fine as far as he went but I think it needs a woman's touch. The photo above [right] is of bulbs planted under one of the pine trees in the grove. What a sweet surprise they were when I first spotted them a few years ago.

As I sat under that pine tree with the hyacinths, I took this photo of the southwest corner of the house looking toward the pond. You see the sun porch, the clothesline, the pear tree, the bramble bush.

And the last photo -- a view just to the right of the previous one -- shows Little Canyon in the distance.


Oh! And I just have to tell you -- the hummingbirds came back today. Mike was working on the porch when a male hovered where the feeder should have been, then got right in his face. So, I quickly made some nectar and hung out the feeders. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

8 caps is a good haul!

Anonymous said...

"Where's my food you son of a #@*^. Ever see a humming bird whear a humans eye as a beak ornament? Get the feeders out - now!"

Kathy said...

Yes, the hummingbirds are very demanding. They are also territorial and fight amongst themselves. It's tough to watch them squeeze one of their number off the feeder. I found 3 bottle caps at an historial marker site (Spalding's Mission) across the Clearwater from Spalding Park. The other 5 were outside CashTyme which is next to M J Barleyhopper's. KW

Anonymous said...

Oops!! I can see I need to get our caps in the mail!! I'll get to it in the next day or so, Hallie.

Aunt Chris