Thursday, May 8, 2008

ABSENTEE MOTHER


On June 1, 1933, Ina writes to Vance:
“I should have written sooner after Mother’s Day and your offering came, but we’ve been busy and too tired when we stopped, etc., so I must be forgiven also. I’m always very happy over my Mother’s Day remembrances. I feel lifted up and carried along on my children’s love and faith and feel like life has been merciful after all. So accept my appreciation of all you have meant to me and of your gift and thought on this last Mother’s Day. I heard from you all . . .” She then lists the gifts she received and adds: “I shall use the $1.00 bills to get new curtains, etc., which is needed and will do so much to add to our pleasure in the house.”

“I stay home on Mother’s Day,” my own mother would announce. She didn’t want to miss the calls and visits from her children. Though she didn’t express herself like Ina, she was nevertheless sentimental over the day.

But I am writing this blog to let you know that we are going to the homestead Friday morning, and we might stay through Monday. You know that phone calls there can be difficult. I thought about making myself available for calls by spending Mother’s Day sitting on “June’s Hill” where we find cell reception to be optimal. I could load the 4-wheeler with books, my latest afghan project, some food – and just spend the day there on the hill waiting for the cell phone to ring. (LOL) That won’t happen!

But – hopefully Wild Blue (the satellite internet service) is now reconnected at the homestead and hence communication possible through email. Mike and I both access our regular email service while at the farm.

Speaking of motherhood – Mike and I enjoyed logging into “sonogram theater,” or whatever they call it, and seeing the face (and other parts) of our darling new granddaughter due to be born in July. Mike immediately saw the face when it came up on screen. It took me longer to make it out in what appeared as soft shadows. To me it was like seeing the man in the moon -- as soon as you see it, it’s plain as day. Photos of babies yet to be born! What will they think of next? There’s not much left to the imagination any more.

[The photo above is of Ina with her youngest child, Shirley, in 1911. I would love to know how to repair photos through computer software.]

3 comments:

Hallie said...

I saw a friend's sonogram of her baby and she was saying, "Look you can see the face, and there's a leg..." I said, "I see 3 legs--or maybe they're arms. Either your baby has 3 legs or 3 arms, or it might have 2 legs and 1 arm or 2 arms and 1 leg. I hope you're baby isn't deformed. What did the doctor say?"

I just can't see those darn things!

Kathy said...

I had a sonogram before Hallie was born. I kept the still photo they gave me in her baby book. I was never able to make anything of it, but I kept it anyway. "Sonogram Theater" probably spent 15 or 20 minutes in the process, so we had plenty of time to get adjusted. The baby has a sweet round face. She loves to keep her hands close to her face and tries to suck her thumb. Pretty much I fell in love with her. XO

Anonymous said...

I think most photo programs, such as Photoshow, iPhoto (Mac), and maybe even Windows would have the capability to enhance photos. We have been doing some of that for Joanne's DVD project. Good Luck!