Friday, May 16, 2008

DARE WE HOPE IT'S SUMMER?

It’s been a cold spring without the benefit of much rainfall – just drab cold days. But yesterday (Thursday) dawned warm and bright with the look, feel, and smell of summer. Temps are predicted to be in the 90s by Saturday. This signals quite a change when I think that just last weekend my laundry at the farm wouldn’t air dry in temps under 50. Why, not only could we still see snow on the distant mountains, I’m sure it did snow somewhere regionally last weekend. With the sudden high temps, a flood watch is in effect at Orofino from 2:00 today (Friday) until Sunday afternoon. Despite this spell of warm weather, I know better than to take the electric blanket off the bed until July.

Mike loves the great outdoors in the summertime. The change in weather brings changes in routine for us. When I awoke at 5:20 a.m., Mike was already awake and had opened all the windows in order to bring the house temp down as much possible. At 67 inside, about 8:00, he closed the windows. I made note of the times because he then washed the windows. I can just feel his eagerness to be out and doing.

The summer routine is more difficult for me because I love to sew, crochet, read, and prefer to do those things inside where the sun isn’t quite so bright. If I’m going to be outside – say to weed or ride bike -- I prefer to get those things done before it’s hot. And while I love to cook, I don’t love to do it in the summertime. It doesn’t take long to exhaust my repertoire of hot weather entrees either. Anyway, we’ve had few concerns about the summer routine until now.

Did anyone else hear about those huge beetles that were delivered to Pennsylvania? I wonder if Douglas knows anything about those. They sounded truly disgusting! [No photo available] KW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read about them. Yuck!!!

Signed,
Chris, who is not a lover of insects of any size...

Kathy said...

I wonder if 4th graders like yucky stuff. Sometimes kids like to contemplate the yucky stuff and sometimes they are turned off -- or pretend to be. I seem to recall, Chris, that you were once quite turned off by a tomato worm. They are quite yucky! KW