Friday, May 30, 2008

DAY THREE / NIGHT CAMP

July 29, 1926 (Thursday) continued
We passed through Bliss, Hagerman, and Buhl, then began to watch for Twin Falls. Here we had our first experience of auto camps. A little kitchen with oil range, good toilets, even a tub and clothesline. There were shade trees, too. We boiled potatoes and expected a “feed,” but the sausage was bad, no butter, and Lynn didn’t like boiled potatoes so we were sort of grouchy but got to laughing and I thought of the corned beef hash and insisted on Lynn finishing the relish spread. Dad had bought doughnuts and so with tea and jam we made out. I found a cinnamon roll in a bag and was voted lucky. After supper the menfolks all went to hunt a bath and a swim and ice cream and the girls took the chance to write in the little cook house. When the men came back they were minus the bath and swim but had ice cream (Seal Right) and cookies and we all ate it out of cups and were the worse for doing so. Then we collected wash pans, etc., and went to the toilet room for a sketchy sponge bath and after that we bathed our underwear and hose and hung them on the tent ropes and benches.

A big car drove in late. We were treated to the spectacle in real life of what we all suffer from in dreams, i.e., two men trying to dress with people all around them. We made a little better time getting off here, but I soon found I had left the little bar pin you gave me, Ethel, in the toilet. I felt sick but at the next town (Burley), I wrote back to the caretaker to send it on home. There was only one car left there, a man and a woman, so I think she found it all right. [Hmmmmm! I have no info on whether or not her pin was returned.] To be continued . . .

2 comments:

Hallie said...

Is this really the best way to get to Yellowstone? Isn't it easier to go through Montana? Perhaps there weren't good roads yet?

Kathy said...

I don't know my hwy history, but Hwy 12 to Montana was not improved until about 1960. Yellowstone is the goal, but I also believe this trip is to see sites that Ina had visited when a child coming to the west with her family. Clint showed us Thousand Springs last year. Idaho Power has dammed them in order to maximize water capacity -- really a shame. It must have been a beautiful site. Anyway, the trip is slow -- they make between 25 and 40 mph. And it becomes more amusing (at least I think so) as time goes on. KW