Friday, May 16, 2008

Excitement in Philly!



Hello All,

I arrived safely in Philadelphia on Wednesday and have been enjoying the different architecture. I don't have a picture from my collection yet since I left the transfer cord at home. Here's a photo from the Internet of my Exciting Thing #2. Here is the full list of exciting things from yesterday:

1. My first Philly cheese steak--YUM!
2. An old man who had peed his pants.
3. Philadelphia City Hall - the coolest building I've seen in the states so far!
4. A fat lady run over and trapped underneath a utility van. We watched the fire department lift the van on hydraulics to get her out.
5. A businessman who got out of his car just to yell at the numskull in the vehicle behind him who was making it hard to park.
6. A guy on a unicycle with 3 foot wheel busting through crowds on the sidewalk.
7. Cars PARKED in the center turn lane of a road (not double-parked...PARKED).
8. A Maxfield Parrish work replicated in grand scale with Tiffany stained glass.
9. 29 bottle caps found! Murray has coined the city, "Filthadelphia."

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Whoa! This is so much better than the blog I had written. I'll post it when it's the middle of the night for you Philadelphians. I have to respond to your list:
1. I picked spinach from the garden to make Italian chicken spinach casserole.
2. Subway stations can reek of urine -- not a topic we usually bring up in polite conversation but a fact of life in the city.
3. You just don't get that historical feel in the cities of the western U.S.
4. A girl in Lewiston lost her brakes while riding her bicycle down 5th St. She ran into a truck at Main St. Has a broken leg.
5. Mike yelled at a woman driver yesterday.
6. I read about people in the cities riding bikes without brakes just for the thrill of it, I guess.
7. Not good citizens of the road.
8. Oooh! I'd love to see that. I love Maxfield Parrish. Maybe I'll hang ours this year.
9. Excellent find! Are they different from those we find here?

I'm anxious to know if you have heard about the huge beetles delivered to the Mohnton, PA, post office. They sounded pretty disgusting. Does Douglas have an opinion on that? XO

M/W said...

Sounds like Philly is putting on a show just for you. I thought it was interesting when I was there but probably not to compare with your 10 highlights in one day.

Be sure Murray shows you the "Surekill" river in Filthadelphia.

Hallie said...

Most of the caps are common...I have found a couple that seem unique to the area. One cap says, "Pennsylvania's oldest brew." We also found some Twisted Tea caps today...they were purple/blue.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Think I'm glad to live in Moscow where we have no subways and not much traffic (but we did have three murders in the last year...)

Very fun to read your guest blog, Hallie!