Wednesday, May 28, 2008

SECOND DAY -- SUPPER & CAMP

July 28, 1926 (continued)
We passed through Midvale, Weiser, Payette. Had our first glimpse of the Snake near here. We pulled onto the Payette River to camp but found poison oak, flies and mosquitoes were too bad, so pulled out again and drove on through Fruitland, where Julian Brown taught and about 4 ½ miles further on camped at a farm where they had things to sell. It was a free camp and they even allowed us to drive in on the nice lawn, but we wouldn’t. It made us a fine bed, though, and so the tent was pitched there. Everybody was grouchy over our trouble finding a camp, but we had a good supper of fried potatoes, bacon, bread and butter, tea fresh, tomatoes, cantaloupe. Vance bought three quarts of milk for 30 cents but it proved blinky so was a total loss. When supper was nearly ready, a kitten walked onto the table and dragged off two slices of bread. After supper we all felt better but I blew up while Irl and I were making beds. He was chewing gum violently and the bedding was such a mess.

Right here let me say that Lynn and Irl are official strikers; Dad, official fire builder and water getter. Vance officiates at fire, Bernice at dishwashing, Shirley sets tables and packs up grocery box, grub box, and lunch box. I am mayor and domo, by common though unexpressed, consent, of course. We all work at other things.

We made about 127 today and are about 500 from the park. [more tomorrow . . . ]

3 comments:

Hallie said...

I don't know what a domo is, but THIS is a domo-kun:

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/domo_kun.jpg

Kathy said...

Ina means major-domo: One who makes arrangements or directs affairs for another.

I have not made much effort to edit Ina's writings. Mike noted that Pollock is nowhere near Cambridge. She loses track of where she is and what she's said. To me, that's just part of the charm. Besides, I would have to think to fix it -- really re-work it. Perhaps I should do that, but not now. KW

Hallie said...

Oh, I agree with you--the charm is in the genuineness of the article. I don't know one town from the next anyway.