Thursday, June 26, 2008

BACKCOUNTRY GEOCACHING







Each time I wrote the date on the nine geocaches we logged today I thought of my oldest son, Murray, who turned 45 today. He would have really enjoyed our adventure. I had wanted for a long time to find the caches in the back country between Kooskia and Weippe. So I spent parts of several days mapping the caches and placing waypoints on the map and in the GPSr so we could find our way through the maze of roads in the area. Miraculously it worked beautifully. It wasn’t nearly as confusing as looking at the map. From the map it was impossible to tell the main roads from the glorified trails.

We left the farm about 8:30 this morning and headed for Kamiah. We stopped at a grocery store to pick up a few things, but mainly to replenish Nellie’s dog food. We got our first cache just north of Kamiah and then headed for Kooskia where we logged a couple more. From there we had a beautiful drive back on the Kidder Ridge road which offered magnificent scenery. This road is paved for a quite a distance. We then worked our way through the back country to Weippe picking up caches along the way. We took the old Greer grade up to the Camas Prairie and got back to the farm a little after 4:00 having logged 137 miles – a great day of geocaching and seeing new country. M/W

2 comments:

Hallie said...

Wow! I didn't know today was Murray's birthday. Happy birthday, Murray!!!

That looks like a neat place for a picnic. It's so nice to have a blog entry from Dad. When you first started this, Nick and I played a game where I read the blog and he guessed whether it was written by Mom or Dad. It was a very amusing game for a road trip!

murray.warnock said...

Dad, (and Hallie!) thanks for the kind thoughts. I wish I could have come along with you. Thanks for the card as well.