Wednesday, June 25, 2008

PRACTICE HIKE


Nellie was ecstatic. This morning at 8:10 I put on my visor as Mike slipped into his 32-pound backpack and picked up his hiking poles – sure signs of a hike. And Nellie does love hikes. She made two quick circuits of the yard to express her glee.






Off we went – past the pond and walking the edge of the fields heading south toward Little Canyon. Mike’s pace was slow and steady. I could almost keep up with him.


We continued along the perimeters of the property eventually coming out on Dobson Road. Then we walked out to the “corner” where our mailbox is located and back along the road to our house.

These beautiful yellow sunflowers are in bloom everywhere now. See the house in the background.





We’re close to home now – just one last steep pitch on our lane.









Into the yard at 9:40. We hiked three miles in an hour and a half.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha!! It's not just my eyes...

Chris :-)

Kathy said...

LOL -- No, it's not your eyes, thank goodness! I was so frustrated yesterday in this place that technology doesn't quite reach. But this morning I was successful, as you can see. Thanks to all of you for checking on us. KW

Hallie said...

What is the blue thing bulging out of Dad's pack? I guess he didn't quite get a big enough backpack.

I went to see Get Smart last night. I recommend it. I didn't watch the original Get Smart but I think if you did, you would appreciate some references. It's just a fun, silly, little movie.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for silly little movies. I want to be entertained, not shocked or scared witless!! Thanks for the review, Hallie. And by the way, I never got those bottle caps mailed (I'm so unreliable during the school year... ) Do you still want them?

Hallie said...

Me too! Are you going to see W.A.L.-E, the new Pixar film? It looks adorable!

Bottle caps: I would happily take them! We're in the process of smashing our 4,000 caps with hammers and then Nick will start on the fun part. We haven't given up--just at an impasse until we can get the grunt work out of the way. I'll be sure to post picture updates once he starts.

Kathy said...

Mike is carrying an old blue sleeping bag and some weights for practice. He will be taking a more compact sleeping bag with him on the trip. I also appreciate knowing that Get Smart is a worth seeing. The reviews were so poor that we were going to let it go by. I also have bottlecaps I haven't sent to you -- about 20. I found 5 today! I'm still playing the game. One I had never seen before -- Pacifico -- a yellow orange. We went geocaching today; Mike is going to write about it. KW