Friday, July 25, 2008

GILBERT GRADE RETRIBUTION

This is a sequel to the HITTING THE WALL blog posted July 3rd when it was 92 degrees up here. I had decided I would try that ride again under better conditions to see if old Father Time really is grabbing me by the tail and slowing me down.

Although I didn’t get started this morning till 9:30 it was much cooler. I drank half of a Dr. Pepper with an oat bran muffin and hit the road. From just where the downhill begins to highway 12 is 8 miles. It took 20 minutes to coast down. After a brief stop in the park watching some kids practice baseball I ate half a Big Hunk and started back up. I kept my cadence up concentrating on lift rather than push and I knew I was making good time. My goal has always been to make the 8 miles in an hour. I made it this morning in a little over 56 minutes which may be a PR – certainly my fastest time in recent years. Who needs Powerbars when you have Big Hunks?

4 comments:

debdog42 said...

Anyone who likes Dr Pepper and Big Hunks is okay by me!!

Kathy said...

Dr. Pepper and Big Hunks -- pack nutritional punch. It's a wonder he has teeth! KW

debdog42 said...

I have loved both for a very long time! Mike do you eat "Look" bars too?

murray.warnock said...

Congratulations on the personal record, Dad. I wouldn't be surprised if that is an all time record. How often do you see someone climbing Gilbert grade on a bike?