Thursday, July 31, 2008

MULE DEER PAY A VISIT

Last night while I was washing the supper dishes, a medium-sized mule deer doe entered our yard through the north field. Behind her came three small bucks. I called for Mike, who came running from the den to stand beside me at the window. Nellie picked up on the excitement and ran circles behind us, finally realizing she could view the scene at “her” window in the dining room. She planted herself there and barked sharply, contemplating whether or not she wanted to go out.

Mike and I had never seen such small bucks – antlered small males. The smaller deer decided to move back to the field, but the doe seemed confused. She made like she would head off to the raspberry patch, then circled in place and also went into the field. In mule deer fashion – springing jumps – the party cut through the north field and across our lane into June’s field – probably on their way to the garbanzos. When they were a good way off, we let Nellie out. You aren’t supposed to let your dog chase the deer, but I’m all for letting the deer know I have a dog. It’s my yard and they do a lot of damage.

I felt the deer were still moving around the yard at bedtime. Nellie put up a ruckus in the north field, and once we quieted her, I thought I could hear movement in the gravel driveway. Mike says he doesn’t know why they would bother our plants when they have the garbanzos. I say there’s no telling what they think.

We didn’t see much hummingbird activity when we arrived yesterday, but I made the nectar anyway and once the feeders were filled the hummers gradually returned. It’s easy pickings for hummingbirds at Kathy and Mike’s – at least when we’re here. KW

No comments: