Tuesday, July 15, 2008

THE WEATHER STATION

For a long time I’ve wanted a weather station on the farm that would give wind and rain data in addition to temperature and humidity. Just before the end of the year I saw a Lacrosse Technology unit on sale in Cabela’s at a deep discount so I ordered it. We’ve had a Lacrosse for years in town that gives temperature (indoors & outdoors), humidity and minimums and maximums and it has been a really good unit. Of course, I didn’t get to install this new unit until the first part of June. I had all kinds of problems – rain gauge didn’t work at all, wind speed appeared inaccurate, manual was terrible and even incorrect and the unit was complex and not user-friendly at all. After talking and corresponding with Lacrosse several times I eventually returned it to Cabela’s and exchanged it for a more expensive model. It just arrived and I got it installed today – no easy feat.

This model is much less sophisticated than the other one even though it cost more. It runs on batteries only whereas the other one could run with an adapter and would also upload data to a computer. I didn’t need something that fancy. Just tell me how hard the wind is blowing. This one will do that. Of course, it’s in beauforts. Don’t tell me you don’t know what a beaufort is. Well, in case you’re that ignorant you can get the details at http://www.stormfax.com/beaufort.htm (as I did). Actually the Beaufort scale makes pretty good sense. It also gives the wind speed as well as gusts in mph.

Naturally, the toughest part of the installation is mounting the wind gauge. It needs to be high, unobstructed and within 32 feet of the thermo/hydro sensor because it must be connected with a wire. The rain gauge on this one transmits a signal whereas it had to be hard wired on the other one. We finally concluded that our only option for the wind gauge was the apex of the roof on the north end of the house. This house has about the most inaccessible roof as any place I’ve seen. Finally got it done with sweat, blood and ropes. Fortunately it was a fairly calm day – no more than 1 beaufort. I can tell you, I did hit the Easy button when the project was finished. M/W

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Although Mike did all the work, I was the one who crumpled in a heap and went to bed early through nervous exhaustion. Putting up that wind gauge was the most nerve wracking activity we've pursued in a while. We were screaming at each other from opposites sides of the house which was useless. We couldn't hear each other but they probably heard us on Central Ridge -- you know how sound carries. It took hours just to successfully pull the rope over the top of the house. Then I sat in the attic window and filled a pail with the tools and items Mike needed to make the installation on the roof. I then hooked them on a rope he let down to me and he pulled them up. I'm afraid this won't be the last time. The gauge will surely need service. KW

Hallie said...

I think of these photos as the "before" shots. The after shots will either be of Dad in a wheelchair or an urn.

When I want an accurate, real-time reading of the weather, I go outside. Doesn't tell me beauforts, but I can determine whether a jacket is needed.

Anonymous said...

Just looking at the pictures gave me the willies. I can't handle heights. When Dan is perched on a ladder washing our front windows, I can hardly stand it when he makes me stand at the window so I can tell him where he missed. I can believe you crumpled!! What a brave wife you were--I salute you! :-) Sitting in the attic window?? I think not!

When I want to know the weather, I pull up weather.com. Or do as Hallie does and go outside.