Thursday, August 14, 2008

NOT LONG TILL HARVEST


Mike took his road bike out to the paved highway and made another long ride. He has already packed his bike into the Dakota for return to Clarkston. He says harvest has begun in earnest in Lewis County, so no more rides out to Nezperce and beyond for a while.

While Mike was gone, Nellie and I took a long walk – an extension of our usual route. Here's a pre-harvest photo looking across "June's" field to our north field. The clump of trees on the left is our grove.

When we returned, I finished a Christmas presentation I’ve been writing, “No Skimpy Christmas Here!” based on Ina’s pre-Christmas letters. I don’t know why it was so important to me to finish it this early, but it was on my mind and I’m glad I have worked through it. It’s a one-woman presentation in which I am Ina telling about a depression-era Christmas on the farm through the letter she’s writing to Vance. I have one scheduled performance. Of course, that’s in December.

Have you been watching the Olympics? Mike is an avid fan, and I enjoy watching some events. We blend old technology with new and record by means of VCR (a little tricky but Mike has it figured out) so that we can watch when convenient and eliminate commercials.

I have been picking raspberries for the last two weeks. I had several days of bumper harvest – ½ cup per day. Now it’s trickled off to half dozen berries or so. The strawberry plants purchased at a yard sale did not bear this year, but I am happy to say I had good survival rate. The plants that were munched last week have come back nicely with the protection of some netting. But I have a dozen everbearing plants set out last year that are producing a few berries. My tomato plant has two tomatoes, but I’ll be amazed if they ripen before frost, which could be in the not-to-distant future. And I’m not sure the zucchini plant will ever bear. You can’t afford to be late with your planting in this environment.

4 comments:

debdog42 said...

That is a beautiflu picture on the grain field and the trees in the distance!

Anonymous said...

Love the new sidebar photos! Beautiful. You guys are getting good with the camera!!

Kathy said...

I still have to read the camera manual. (I still have to read the car manual, too - shhh!) We are both trying to experiment with the camera and learn to use it. I have always felt I had to be so conservative in taking pictures, but with the digital format it's so much fun to indulge. And the immediate reinforcement helps me to see what works and what doesn't.

debdog42 said...

I love the photo of the hollyhock. It reminded me of my great grandmother's yard when I was a small child. She didn't have lawn, just lots of flowers and the hollyhocks were always my favorite.