Tuesday, August 19, 2008

SPENDING . . . IN TOWN


Speaking of the way people used to cook, my friend Chris once commented that the changes over the years have been phenomenal. We now have so many gadgets and appliances in the kitchen and we think we have to have them. “My mother had a knife and a fork,” she said. Thinking of my mother and grandmothers, I had to laugh. It was so true.


And it’s true in other departments of life, too. Take sewing, for instance. The year Clinton was born Mike bought me a Singer Athena 2000. And it was great. And I made clothes for myself and my family and taught my daughter to sew on that machine. But over the years it began to show its age and nothing turned out right. I can’t blame all of that on the machine. As life happened, I began to slip away from sewing and the industry changed while I was looking the other way.

I decided last week that I really do care about sewing and I really do want to learn some of the new methods and techniques. And that wasn’t going to happen with outmoded equipment. I’ll spare you the process, but Mike and I went to the Bernina Shop this morning and bought the Aurora 430. You don't know what the Aurora 430 means, you say. Well, I'm not entirely sure myself. I signed up for classes at the shop on Saturday, Sept. 6.

“It’s a bit intimidating having a new piece of equipment, isn’t it?” Mike observed as I was removing the sewing machine from the box. I promised Hallie I would not have buyer's remorse, but intimidation doesn’t begin to cover it. I don’t even have the right kind of thread in my sewing box. I was reminded of the housewives of 50 years ago who made it fine in the kitchen with a knife and a fork, yet I wouldn't want to give up my bread machine and my food processor. KW

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh HOORAY!!! I'm so excited for you!!! Everyone on my embroidery list who has the 430 loves it! I know you will, too. I'm going to my sewing room right now and sew with a smile thinking of you with your new 430!

Anonymous said...

Oops! Another thought (or maybe two!) Don't forget that on your birthday, you'll receive a discount (don't worry it doesn't apply to sewing machines!) equal to 1/2 your age at Becky's. Great time to load up on thread, bobbins, feet, etc. I did it last week. :-)

And, just plug that baby in, use the thread you have (I use Coats and Clarks in mine no matter what they say and have had no problems although I do like the Mettler thread), and try it out. You can slow the motor speed down with that slide above and to the right of the needle arm, and just have some fun. You'll love needle up/down, and the needle threader!!

To paraphrase Dr. Suess, Oh the things you will sew!

Hallie said...

Well now. Getting old never sounded so good!

Anonymous said...

Old-er, Hallie. Not old! Old-er. :-)

Kathy said...

It took me two hours to figure out what Hallie meant by "getting old never sounded so good." Finally I realized it was the discount equal to half your age. Well, as Aunt Chris commented, that's a rather significant amount by now.

It took me a while to figure out the needle threader, but I did it! And I found a box with some old projects left over from a serger class that will be good for experimenting. I hope that you and Dr. Seuss are right!!

debdog42 said...

Think of all the neat gifts you can make!