Tuesday, August 26, 2008

WEATHERING THE LULL

You know how it is when you've looked forward to something for a long time -- then it comes -- then it's over. We had looked forward to Hallie's visit for four months, and it's not so much missing her as it is a feeling of "what's next?" Today it just seemed hard to get started on anything. This batch of pears finished drying. I tried a new zucchini bread recipe using brown sugar and oatmeal. I rode 9.65 miles on my bicycle and walked Nellie two miles. We also set up Mike's shotgun stations in the gully, and he seemed pleased with that. Still, there was a heaviness about the day.

I thought the hummingbirds were gone – no sign of them when we came in on Friday. Then Nick and Mike spotted one or two, so I made nectar and filled the feeders. But yesterday's wind and rain storm must have convinced them to move on. I haven't seen them today. The Calliopes were already gone. The ones that remained were probably Black Chins. At one point during the summer I was filling the feeders twice a day and keeping nectar on hand. No more until next year.

Lots of harvesting remains to be done in the area but our fields and the neighboring fields are harvested. Mike saw Kyle working on the old Plank place (just north of us) Sunday afternoon and went over to watch. He enjoyed riding the combine with Kyle for a while.

The Olympics are over. Mike finished the book he was reading. I finished sewing my quilt blocks together. It seems like we've come to a lot of finishes all of a sudden. We're just at the point of some changes. KW

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I know what you mean. I waited a year for Matt and Amy to come again and it was over in the blink of an eye. But then Ann came over and quilted with me all weekend while the boys all went camping, and now I'm back at school. Change. Sigh. Good and sometimes sad. We go to Orofino on Thursday evening for a family service for Betty Jane--so many memories... Fall is somehow a contemplative time.

P.S. Loved the pictures of Hallie and Nick. :-)

Hallie said...

I don't like it, either. I want to come back home.

Kathy said...

For Chris -- I'm sorry to hear about Betty Jane. I know you are comforted by those memories.

For Hallie -- Remember how much you love Seattle and all the things you do there -- the hikes, the trendy shops, etc. And Bumberchute (sp) comes up this weekend.

And it's great that we can meet here to encourage one another. KW