Wednesday, September 3, 2008

BACK IN THE LAND OF PLENTY . . .

Here we are in the land of milk, eggs, and sewing notions. We packed up and drove back to town this morning. We had errands in Orofino. We stopped at the pump shop to return an unneeded part; problems with the pump were due to bugs in the circuit box. We delivered our garbage to the dump. And we stopped by Yamaha to discuss repairs to the Wolverine. Mike wistfully looked at a newer used Wolverine and commented that maybe he should sell ours and buy that one. At Peck we stopped for a geocache on Big Canyon Creek. The elderberries there were fully ripe but no, I didn't pick any. Blackberry bushes were plentiful but becoming "past." And I identified deadly nightshade in the area which should not be ingested.

So we have shopping and errands here in town that will keep us busy the next couple of days. Saturday I will be involved in an all-day "mastering" class at the Bernina shop to learn about my new machine. I'm so proud of myself for having learned to use the needle threader on my own. While I take the class, Mike is going to go mountain biking out of Pomeroy with friends.

We had been at the homestead for nearly two weeks. A friend picked up our mail for us here in town. You should have seen it – and most of it junk. Mike received an Idaho District Court summons for jury duty in Coeur d'Alene. He completed the questionnaire but hopes that our Washington residency will disqualify him. You'd think so, but it was addressed to him here at the Clarkston address. While he completed his questionnaire, I completed the one I received from The Vermont Country Store. They want to know why I don't order more often. Actually, I love their catalog and their philosophy, but the prices they want for stuff we used to buy at the five & dime! Still, they'll get me with a nostalgic color book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How was the sewing class?? I'm hoping you are falling in love with your new machine. :-) But I do know it takes time...