Sunday, September 7, 2008

BERNINA CLASS

If you like fabric, be sure to read Hallie's guest blog below.

Several weeks ago Mike and I went to the local Bernina shop and bought a new sewing machine. Yesterday I took the Machine Mastering 1 & 2 classes at the store. It was a great day. The instructor (Marjean) was good and the other participants were mostly of my generation and saying much the same thing: "I used to sew. I made doll clothes and my own clothes and clothes for my kids, but then life happened, I quit sewing, and now I want to make quilts and other pretty things." One woman said, "I wake up in the middle of the night thinking -- I'm 61 years old and I have a roomful of fabric. I've got to get going!" Each participant had a different model of machine, and I didn't envy the instructor her task of having to individualize instruction for each one of us. Fortunately, there were only five participants.

At the class we were introduced to some of the basic features of our machines. It also served to show us that we will need to invest in more feet (or is it "foots" in this case) for our machines in order to take advantage of some of these features. These computerized machines are wonderful. Tell it the stitch number you want to use and the foot number corresponding to that stitch appears on screen. Of course, if you're making a buttonhole, for instance, you know you need a buttonhole foot, but other stitch choices are less obvious. Of all the things I learned, I was especially impressed by the machine's ability to go through heavy denim (jeans) seams and also with the mending function. We were provided a CD ROM that includes the sewing applications we are being taught. A good idea, we all agreed, since repetition is important to the learning process.

I signed up for Machine Mastering 3 & 4 on September 27. At that class we'll learn some quilting applications, so I have to take a "quilting sandwich." I believe that's two 12" x 12" (specified size) fabric samples with batting between for the purpose of quilting practice. Since I didn't buy the embroidery module for this machine, the instructor said she would show me free motion quilting. Perhaps I should take several "sandwiches."

Bernina has developed pattern-making software, "My Line," that will be demonstrated at the store on Sunday, October 5. Cost: $499.00. You punch in your specific measurements and then the machine congers up a computer image of your form in bra and panties. We all laughed. It seems an expensive program, but the instructor said you can enter more than one person. One of the participants added that if you do sew for yourself, the program might be cost effective when you consider the cost of pattern alteration and making trial garments.

So, I look forward to getting back to my farmhouse sewing room and experimenting with the machine. What will I do first? I'm going to experiment with mending and hemming some of Mike's old jeans, and -- we'll just see. KW

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!

debdog42 said...

I have a friend that has a machine that does the embroidery and it does some neat stuff!

Kathy said...

Yes, I've seen some of Chris Miller's work as well as some samples at the Bernina shop. Intriguing! I've read that it's an expensive hobby but those who try it are quickly addicted. KW