Wednesday, September 24, 2008

VINTAGE DRESS



This week our stay at the farm is just a few short days. We've been busy. Mike lit the propane wall furnace (always a chore), closed the vents under the house, closed the attic window, put away the hammock, and studied the house to determine (unsuccessfully to present) how the wasps get in – fall chores in preparation for "Old Man Winter." We had our first fireplace fire of the season last night. Mike also hung a mirror that Ken and Ginny gave us in the sewing room (see photo). My Great-Grandfather Dickson made the chest of drawers for his daughter, Grandma Ina. I have carried it around with me since 1974. It has held my fabric and sewing supplies for years. In the photo you can see my blue sewing box. I've used it mainly for storage in recent years, so yesterday I cleaned it out and put current sewing supplies in it so that I can carry them back and forth between town and the farm. I bought grapes in the clear plastic box and it struck me it would be perfect for storage of my fat quarter stash – reduce, re-use, recycle.

Today I undertook to cut out the 1930's housecoat, an interesting experience. In 1931 the standard fabric width was 39 inches. In fact, I don't think it became 42 to 44 inches until the 1960s. And let me tell you, those extra inches of fabric were a godsend. The original diagram called for the skirt to be pieced at the hemline, and I was so glad I didn't have to do that! I was going to try the pattern on an old sheet, just to be sure I had made correct alterations, but I decided just to cut it out and hope for the best. I can always make a quilt if it doesn't work – right? – and buy more fabric on sale. In 1931, the seam allowance was 3/8 inch, so that means there's no seam allowance to let out at my hipline. I hope I added enough. The lady who originally used this pattern – perhaps in 1931 –made the short-sleeved version while I am making long sleeves. She did not cut the skirt facing, so I think she converted the dress to a shirtwaist rather than a coatdress. I believe she was a meticulous person who knew what she was doing. Perhaps she kept her carefully refolded patterns for years and years and finally they were sold when her estate was auctioned. Yes, I do believe she is gone now. She was an adult in 1931. Perhaps her collection of patterns fell to her daughter and were sold at her daughter's estate auction. Another interesting – and inconvenient – fact is that the cutting and stitching "charts" are on the pattern sheets and are rather sketchy. I was pleased that the pattern pieces are complete and in excellent condition.

We'll go back to town tomorrow and will be there at least until next Tuesday. Mike is going to participate in motorcycle training in Spokane, and I have a Bernina class on Saturday. KW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, this looks like serious work!! How come the table is split apart, or is it some optical illusion? Easier to pin? And I love your top-- is it a sweatshirt? It's very pretty and the colors are just right on you.

Sincerely,
Your old pal who had to get up too early this morning for a meeting and is thinking fondly of her bed...

Yawn...

Kathy said...

Yes, I guess it was serious work in that the pattern isn't going to just fit me by magic. I don't have to do it, but it felt good to tackle a project. The table was pulled apart to make it longer in order to lay out the pattern. I just didn't fill the gap with boards. And the sweatshirt is a "Russ Studio" that I bought at The Bon Marche 15+ years ago; I have two such sweatshirts that I just love. Stained as they are, I can't part with them.