Monday, October 6, 2008

THE SCIENCE OF PATTERN ALTERATIONS

Today I made good progress on Ina's dress. I sewed the continuous lap into place, put the cuffs on the sleeve, and then sewed the sleeves in place. The next step is buttonholes and buttons, but that's work for another day.

Yesterday I attended a demonstration of the "My Label" software at the Bernina Shop. "My Label" has been developed by the Bernina Company as an individualized pattern program. It costs $500, but I see this as cutting edge technology and was excited to attend the demonstration. Since I would leave for the program from Rosemary's house, I invited her to go with me. She suggested it might not be interesting. "Are you kidding!?" I thought. "How could this not be interesting?"

The demonstration opened with a 9-minute video which was hard to hear. Various measurements were illustrated using a scantily-clad computer-generated female figure. "Not very entertaining," I thought to myself, becoming rather self-conscious about Rosemary's reaction. Then the two presenters took over, again discussing the importance of entering 48 accurate body measurements into the program in millimeters, no less. Measurements must be taken over the subject's nearly nude body by means of the invaluable measuring kit, which the presenter said was well worth the money. Translation: The measuring kit is essential to the program but will cost you extra. Then I began to imagine myself as the subject of this program. I would need a "sewing buddy," someone who agrees not only to perform the 48 measurements but who would be willing to learn how to do so, someone with whom I'm comfortable enough to stand in my skivvies – perhaps my daughter, my old pal, a member of my reading group, my husband? My mind rejects all of those – it seems a big favor – and I suddenly find myself losing interest in this technology. Forty-five minutes into the program, I passed a note to Rosemary: "Ready to leave?" She nodded, we rose and expressed our profound regret at having to leave, and exited the building.

Driving off I said, "You know, Rosemary, when you suggested this might not be interesting, I just couldn't imagine that scenario." We laughed. Today I watched a PBS program wherein a sewing guru illustrated how to make alterations on a standard paper pattern by means of about six standard measurements taken in inches. "This is more like it," I said to myself.


 

No comments: