Saturday, November 8, 2008

YARD SALE REALITY VS. GLITZY NEW STUFF

"What are you going to do today?" I asked Mike. "It will probably rain," he replied, "so I think I'll watch football. There should be some good games."

So, I donned one of my holiday sweatshirts and went off to town, leaving Mike in front of a football game. First stop: the open house at the Owl Tri-State Drugstore. I couldn't help but miss my daughter who used to accompany me to the open houses. "You are just lucky you had a daughter," I told myself, "so let's be grateful and not sad." Then I couldn't help but laugh to myself about the year Hallie and I went to the Holiday Open House at both Owl stores. We went first to the Tri-State store where we were disappointed at the reception. Then we stopped at the Owl Southway where one of our neighbors was manning the goodie table, which was set up right in front of the pharmacy, and greeting customers. "This is so much nicer than the other store," said Hallie. "There weren't any goodies on the table and no one greeted us." I watched in amusement as the store owner and pharmacist obviously took in her comments.

Well, if the economy is in trouble, it didn't look like it at the Owl. There was a lively crowd of eager buyers and the manager was fielding questions: "We've been out of those since we opened at 8:00," she said. "There was a line at the door this morning. No, we're out of the laptop ornament, but I'll take your name and number and call you if we find more of them. White cross tree ornaments? I don't know what happened to them."

I just couldn't get interested in the glitz at the Owl. I guess the yard sale I went to yesterday was a reality check on value. It's easy to get caught up in the displays and the frenzy and buy stuff you don't want or need. So I moved on to Patrick's Crafts – no one there but me and the owner. I can't help but think that this little store might not survive the economic challenge. My small purchase won't help much. It will be too bad if she doesn't make it because I've heard a rumor that Wal-Mart will not have crafts at the new store. I found this true at the Super Wal-Mart I visited in Denver.

At 10:15 when I arrived at the Costco parking lot, it was already half full. That's not saying much for Costco, though, and it was easy to navigate the store. I gawked at the Christmas stuff and moved at my own pace. By the way, if you're following gas prices, it was $1.94/gallon there this morning. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

Walmart is building a NEW store? Oh the humanity! Where will it be?

I've been missing my mommy lately. I need someone who will go to sappy movies and window shop for knick knacks for which I have no room.

Kathy said...

The new Super Wal-Mart store will be in Clarkston across from Costco -- where Patt's Nursery used to be. The Lewiston store will close on the same day that the new store opens, but a Super Wal-Mart is also being considered for Lewiston at a later date.

Yeah -- guys don't like chick flicks so much. It's tough to find the perfect "unisex" movie these days. And it is fun to buy things for your home. Perhaps you need to assess your walls and decide what kinds of things you can use -- a framed picture here, a wallhanging there, maybe a small shelf for little knick-knacks? Failing shopping for your house, we could shop for mine! XO

Hallie said...

That Super Walmart is going to put Costco AND Albertson's out of business. Have the people in LC Valley not seen the documentaries??? Sad, sad day.

Kathy said...

I only know what I happen to read in the newspaper, but I don't believe Clarkston fought Wal-Mart's plan, tho they did negotiate for assistance with traffic lights and flow. Albertson's in both Lewiston and Clarkston remodeled in 2008, stating that it was time to do so and had nothing to do with the proposed Wal-Mart store. So far this year we're losing two furniture stores, Meacham Mills, and Klings. That's just what I know about. I overheard a clerk at the Clarkston Albertson's store say that she believes shoppers will hit Costco and Wal-Mart and only stop there for sale items. KW