Monday, December 29, 2008

COPING WITH THE HOLIDAYS

It's over – and I missed it!" lamented a friend. That sentiment expressed so exactly what I had felt for years. I just couldn't seem to hit my stride so that I could both present a wonderful celebration to my family and come through the holidays without an emotional meltdown. And once the extended family Christmas had passed from my experience, I had another adjustment to make.

"We don't like Christmas. We just like to get ready for Christmas," said Hallie some years ago. I fought down some anger at her statement. I felt responsible for failing to make even my daughter understand the importance of holiday traditions. I knew she saw a mother overwrought with taking on too much, then unable to cope, and finally disappointed once again when the celebration failed to meet expectations. But as I thought about her words, I could see that Hallie was right, and there is nothing wrong in perpetually getting ready for Christmas (though I suspect I'm adding a dimension to her words that she didn't mean). I've found that if I treat Christmas less as a destination and more as a work in progress, I get along so much better.

This little "Wonder Book" published in 1952 and titled "Christmas Is Coming" was a favorite of mine when I was little – a favorite of my mother's as well. The story follows a stereotypical family of the day as they celebrate their lovely Christmas. Christmas night, as Bobby and Sally go to bed, they say to one another, "Oh, we can hardly wait till next Christmas." That statement became my mother's mantra.

We had spells of wind and rain today and I understand that Spokane is getting more snow. I wonder what it's like in Moscow -- or wherever you are. We had hoped to get into the farm Friday, but I seriously think it won't happen. It's good we went when we did because we might not get in again until spring.

Today Mike and a helper moved furniture and supplies to the CashTyme location – getting ready for TaxTyme. Funny thing: Mike wore his new flannel shirt purchased last week at Penney's. The helper was wearing the exact same shirt. "J. C. Penney's, right?"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Up here in the "frozen north", we have 31 degrees, icy, rutty roads, snow, and more snow on the way. Dan has shoveled the roof, Eric has shoveled theirs (alarming cracks in the ceiling at their house!!), and we are up to our freezer tops in elk meat, Dan having shot one yesterday, making it three for three in his group.

As for Christmas, yes, a great deal of the emotion of the holiday is in the preparations. Each year I pray (yes, actually pray!) not to miss this blessed season, and some years are better than others. This year was not a miss. Your Mom has always been my inspiration for decorating and having family in, and I told her so one year in our card. She is indeed a hard act to follow, but we can carry on her love of traditions in our own ways and honor her and Christmas.

Kathy said...

It was sunny in the valley today, and it was not too muddy to take Nellie on her favorite neighborhood walk. It's so hard to believe that a few miles away people are struggling with winter conditions. I don't know how much produce you have on hand, Chris, but at least you don't need to go out for meat!

Mother knew she had inspired you, even when we were young. Times change -- we have to be flexible. Thanks so much for writing. KW

Hallie said...

How does a person shovel snow off the roof without sliding off himself? Seems VERY dangerous!

Anonymous said...

Shoveling the roof. Well, to be honest, I can't bring myself to watch, but as far as I can tell, this is how it goes: Dan climbs up on a ladder, hauling his snow shovel with him, treks to the peak (it was almost to his knees in places due to drifting) and starts shoveling away. *I* think it's highly dangerous, and since I can barely stand on a chair without getting dizzy, I spend the time he's up there praying and hiding out somewhere, hoping I can hear him if he falls and calls for help!!

Signed,
Your cowardly Aunt Chris

Kathy said...

I am no stranger to "roofly" activities at any time of year, as you know. Mike thinks of all kinds of things to do on the roof, but I can hardly watch him. He slipped off the roof when we lived on Broadview -- but of course, he lived to tell about it. The roof at the farm is very steep -- the snow is going to slide right off -- so the contractor insisted we install "snow guards" to keep the snow from taking the gutters with it.

Dangerous as it is, officials are advising home / business owners to get the snow off their roofs and avoid damage and further danger. KW (watching the rain become snow -- probably snow at the farm and in Moscow)